Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 395
Share |
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


Saw a drywall alternative called EcoRock - supposed to be fire rated, lighter, stronger, mold resistant, and environmentally friendly.

http://www.seriousmaterials.com/html/ecorock.html

anyone have any thoughts on this?

related question - can drywall be eliminated altogether where another mat'l is being applied (e.g. ceiling hung with t&g pine, etc.)

thanks

rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
Drywall contractor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 2,094
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


Sounds wonderful, especially the lighter part. The site doesn't give any info on where/if it's available or HOW MUCH! You would think if it's the "Holy Grail" of wallboard, it would be all over the news.......and you do not need drywall under t&g pine.

__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier. Support our troops.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 395
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


I googled around and saw a few articles about this including this one

http://www.rusticcanyon.com/node/194

According to this article, the CEO of the company "expects EcoRock to sell for about what it costs to buy premium drywall." - maybe it'll get cheaper as the market grows...? Either way the ROI is interesting if it's as good as they say it is.

I think some of the articles talk about anywhere from spring to mid summer to late 2008 as a launch date for this product - maybe it's just starting to make a dent in the industry...?

sorry to ramble on about this - as a DIY the "lighter" and "eco friendly" aspects really grab my attention (less chance of accidents, injuries and hardly any carbon footprint) - I sent them an email asking about the availability - really curious to see if this stuff will start showing up at suppliers anytime soon
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


How much greener can you get than gypsum (a natural occurring mineral) and cellulose????? One IS earth and the other will decay quickly if left outside.

Both are natural substances.

This green thing is becoming just another scam to sell stuff.

It's like the rice cakes that advertise that they don't have any transfats or cholesterol. News flash" Rice cakes never had any transfats or cholesterol.
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 395
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


I think the "green" aspect comes from the production (uses very little energy vs "baking" a sheet of drywall) - at least that's the hype. I'm no drywall expert but the way they describe it, you need a ton of heat (energy) to make drywall vs this product which "cooks itself" be some kind of reaction in the materials.

Isn't there some types of drywall that have some other chemicals in them (like byproducts from smokestack scrubbers, etc.)? Or is that just more marketing and folklore?

Yeah there's a "green" bandwagon for sure - like so many "natural" products, etc. Gotta be careful - but this so far looks like it has some advantages. That's why I was hoping some of you here had some (good or bad) experiences with it.
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
Yeah there's a "green" bandwagon for sure - like so many "natural" products, etc. Gotta be careful - but this so far looks like it has some advantages. That's why I was hoping some of you here had some (good or bad) experiences with it.
The only green I am interested is in keeping the green in my wallet. I have no delusions that there is such thing as anthropogenic global warming and look at it all as a bunch of hysteria.

If there is a product that does the job and is cheaper, easier or helps me keep green in my wallet as far as paying for energy then count me in.
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 395
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin Gardens View Post
I have no delusions that there is such thing as anthropogenic global warming and look at it all as a bunch of hysteria.
so - lemme guess - no Smart Car in your driveway...?
rtoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:23 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 9,519
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoni View Post
so - lemme guess - no Smart Car in your driveway...?
Smart cars get "totaled" by tricycles.

Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:35 PM   #9
Drywall contractor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 2,094
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


There's no "smart car" in my driveway either, just the '99 Chevy pickup I work out of and my wife's '01 Astro van for hauling the kids. Unfortunately business hasn't allowed the luxury of buying a new vehicle lately........ There is recycled product used in some drywall manufacturing processes. The gypsum industry is continually looking at ways to become more friendly to the enviornment with every new plant that comes online. (And when expanding existing ones.) It would be ludicrous if they didn't. I too have to look at the bottom line when it comes to job cost. I have to remain competetive to stay in business and material cost is a major factor. Think of it this way; if I proposed a job cost of let's say $5000.00 to drywall a basement for you. But, IF I give you the option to use "green gypsum" it will cost $6500.00. Are you willing to pay that extra cost to be "eco friendly"?? Most people aren't when it comes right down to it. I think that's the point Marvin is trying to make. (And I just made up the numbers as an example.) We all want what's best for future generations, but we have to feed and raise the one that's in our home now. Let's see how this new product pans out before we start a pissing contest about whether it's the "best" wallboard product ever thought of. And if I understand correctly, it's not even on the market yet..........
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier. Support our troops.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 1,226
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


If it uses less energy, then it should be cheaper, right? If you want an alternative to sheetyrock, plan on paying more for just about everything but wood paneling. If you want a better product, use lath and plaster.
__________________
Advice is free, Lessons begin at 75 bucks an hour.
Tscarborough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #11
Drywall contractor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 2,094
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


Wish I'd had the opportunity to learn plastering too. It's an art in itself. Especially when it comes to trims.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier. Support our troops.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 06:11 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
I too have to look at the bottom line when it comes to job cost. I have to remain competetive to stay in business and material cost is a major factor. Think of it this way; if I proposed a job cost of let's say $5000.00 to drywall a basement for you. But, IF I give you the option to use "green gypsum" it will cost $6500.00. Are you willing to pay that extra cost to be "eco friendly"?? Most people aren't when it comes right down to it. I think that's the point Marvin is trying to make. (And I just made up the numbers as an example.) We all want what's best for future generations, but we have to feed and raise the one that's in our home now. Let's see how this new product pans out before we start a pissing contest about whether it's the "best" wallboard product ever thought of. And if I understand correctly, it's not even on the market yet..........
Exactly.

I give several bids when requested. One is green for those that want to be green and one that uses time tested products that are not considered green.

Never once have I had anyone pick the green prices.

One guy insisted on using copper for his pipes because pex as plastic and used oil to make. He wanted nothing to do with pex and insisted on copper that was "recyclable". I redid the estimate and included the copper instead of pex.

He went with pex.

Bottom line for most is that green is a status symbol and lots of people talk about it but when the money hits the road they want cheap.

I have solar hot water, solar electric, and wind generation. People think I am a hard core environmentalist. Wrong. I do it cause I have low and sometimes free energy costs.
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:30 PM   #13
Drywall contractor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 2,094
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


As I originally stated, I'd love to see a "lighter" product after 35 years of hanging the "same old thing". If it were cost effective and had a proven track record, so much the better. Now here comes the tough part........how long will it take to prove it's all it's cracked up to be?? I remember years ago a product called "Upson Curve All" (if memory serves me) that was supposed to be the answer to hanging radius walls, barrel ceilings, etc. It was like a very thick cardboard (1/4") requiring two layers. You could wrap it around a "Coke" bottle. The answer to a drywall man's dream! Much easier to deal with than 1/4" drywall. (Wet it, bend it, break it, start over.....) Only problem was that some (not all) sheets would have a problem with the layers separating when the joint compound was applied (in the most severe radius which was when it was most needed). Hence, it went by the wayside. Let's see what the product has to offer and judge accordingly. It won't be a cheaper alternative I'm guessing.
But "GREEN" usually isn't. I'm willing to use it if the customer is willing to absorb any additional cost. I will guarantee it as far as the mfgr. is willing to. I've had few problems with "tried and true" gypsum wallboard..........I'm willing to give it a try.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier. Support our troops.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:52 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 1,186
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
As I originally stated, I'd love to see a "lighter" product after 35 years of hanging the "same old thing". If it were cost effective and had a proven track record, so much the better. Now here comes the tough part........how long will it take to prove it's all it's cracked up to be?? I remember years ago a product called "Upson Curve All" (if memory serves me) that was supposed to be the answer to hanging radius walls, barrel ceilings, etc. It was like a very thick cardboard (1/4") requiring two layers. You could wrap it around a "Coke" bottle. The answer to a drywall man's dream! Much easier to deal with than 1/4" drywall. (Wet it, bend it, break it, start over.....) Only problem was that some (not all) sheets would have a problem with the layers separating when the joint compound was applied (in the most severe radius which was when it was most needed). Hence, it went by the wayside. Let's see what the product has to offer and judge accordingly. It won't be a cheaper alternative I'm guessing.
But "GREEN" usually isn't. I'm willing to use it if the customer is willing to absorb any additional cost. I will guarantee it as far as the mfgr. is willing to. I've had few problems with "tried and true" gypsum wallboard..........I'm willing to give it a try.
It's like the GP siding that was the latest rage. I didn't get into it and a few years later many of the contractors had to replace it at their cost when it started growing mushrooms (not kidding here).

GP paid for the new siding but not for the labor to reinstall it.

I am leery of "new" stuff especially when they claim it is "green". This is a combination for a disaster. The "green" hysteria dictates that people get on the band wagon without thinking things through.
__________________
My idea of a perfect day: No where to go and all day to get there.
Marvin Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #15
Drywall contractor
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lilburn, GA
Posts: 2,094
Default

Drywall alternative(s)


EXACTLY, Marv!! Thanks for an even better "classic example". rtoni, don't get us wrong, we're not against the "newer, more enviornmentally friendly" products, it's just hard to beat the old "tried and true" when it comes to feeding our families. And you did ask for "our thoughts" on the subject....... Again, if/when the product makes it to the market I'm more than willing to give it a try. If it helps my back and my bottom line, heck yeah!

__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a soldier. Support our troops.
bjbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cost to Drywall hang/finish...please read, good explanation Firehawk734 Remodeling 63 12-17-2012 09:29 PM
Superior Walls - Floating Corners & Drywall Woodcutter Drywall & Plaster 16 04-22-2011 12:05 PM
Drywall ceiling: Water Damage, looking for advice dawho1 Building & Construction 11 09-13-2010 10:05 AM
drywall question billyg Drywall & Plaster 3 08-01-2008 09:49 PM
Framing and Drywall questions haysdb Building & Construction 5 11-04-2005 07:11 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.