Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Drywall above shower?

I am putting a shower in my basement and would like to know what kind of drywall is used above/around the shower (3 piece acrylic type shower). Was planning on using 1/2" paperless, priming it, and a couple coats of good paint.

Thanks in advance for your input.

natspawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

Drywall above shower?

What's the joist spacing?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:33 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Drywall above shower?

1/2" will be fine, many will suggest 5/8" on the lid so it will not sag.
I never use 5/8 for the lid, Have not had any problems with 1/2". As a remodel carpenter for many years, I rarely find 5/8" except for fire wall in garage and would also be 5/8 on garage ceiling if living space above it. 5/8" has a purpose.

And the average truss built roof, the rafters are set 24" apart and ceiling below it has 1/2" drywall on it.
Since you are in a basement, you have floor joist as your ceiling, and probably 16" oc,
Either way, your plan sounds fine.
princelake (01-24-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #4

Drywall above shower?

"the standard" around here is 5/8 on the lid, if 24" OC. if i could recall what we used in '80 on my house, i'd voice an opinion, but i can't (i think it was 1/2", though). i will use 5/8 on my new house, and am using 5/8 on my shop. some guys on another forum recommend 5/8 anywhere there is 24" OC wood; walls or ceiling. 5/8 is sure safer, as far as sagging. primer and good paint is what we did; works fine, but we don't take long, steaming showers. some folks do, and sheetrock may not be the best choice there.
jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 8

Drywall above shower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funfool View Post
1/2" will be fine, many will suggest 5/8" on the lid so it will not sag.
I never use 5/8 for the lid, Have not had any problems with 1/2". As a remodel carpenter for many years, I rarely find 5/8" except for fire wall in garage and would also be 5/8 on garage ceiling if living space above it. 5/8" has a purpose.

And the average truss built roof, the rafters are set 24" apart and ceiling below it has 1/2" drywall on it.
Since you are in a basement, you have floor joist as your ceiling, and probably 16" oc,
Either way, your plan sounds fine.
any thing 24" OC requires by code 5/8 sheetrock and that is wall and ceilings. yes you may not have problems. but your customer might down the road will have them.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:39 PM   #6

Drywall above shower?

You are going to need to finish the drywall joints, per code, 1/2" "ceiling board" is stiffer and will span the 24" (footnote "d"); http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...002_par010.htm

The local AHJ will probably allow any of the newer "lightweight" 1/2" boards, with a water-based texture and insulation above equal to 5/8" standard drywall. They have equivalent sag-resistance; http://www.americangypsum.com/data/p...alsheet541.pdf

http://www.usg.com/sheetrock-ultrali...um-panels.html

http://www.certainteed.com/products/...-boards/341275

http://www.gp.com/build/toughrock-lightweight-drywall

Gary