Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2009, 10:49 PM   #1

Share |

drywall

ok my contracter left a pile of drywall out in the rain,it was covered by a tarp but some of the side got wet. he said they cutthat part off and it will be good as new,is that true.also the top one got really wet i dont know if it was due to pulling the tarp off,but what should i do..he said it will all be fine.

mitzey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:07 PM   #2
Renovation Contractor

drywall

Mitzy,

The best policy with drywall is to keep it dry, lol.

If it got soaked once it should be okay. Drywall is actually bent around radius walls by thoroughly wetting it and then letting it dry in place (usually is 1/4" drywall but that is beside the point) so it isn't something that is not done. Would I allow for it to repeatedly soaked, no. Would I ask politely if it was all going to stay out for an extended period of time for my contractor to bring the rock in where it is going to stay dry, yes (drywall contractors usually get the rock up pretty quick upon it arriving on site so I am not sure how long your contractor intends for it to stay out). Do butt ends and factory sides of rock get cut off? yes how much and locations the cuts come off of depends on the job.

I am not sure if I would panic quite yet because the top piece that got wet may not even get used. But if the contractor is going to be leaving this rock exposed to the elements for some time I think I as the client would request he bring it in as this is not a good policy since this is a finish material and usually immediately after hanging the rock it is taped textured and painted in rapid succession I would opt for the rock to be dry.

I hope that this is not too vague and answers your questions. I am sure that you will receive opinions from other professionals on this site and this is simply my viewpoints.

Good luck, be safe!

Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:03 AM   #3

drywall

I'd ask him to provide documentation that the manufacturer publishes that reinforce his claims. I would not allow drywall to be installed in my home if it had been wet. Drywall is already something like 30% moisture content, but adding more can affect the product negatively.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:25 PM   #4

drywall

I agree with kc. This from the drywall maker:

3.1.1 The plastic packaging used to wrap gypsum panel products
for rail and/or truck shipment is intended to provide temporary
protection from moisture exposure during transit only
and is not intended to provide protection during storage after
delivery. Such plastic packaging shall be removed immediately
upon receipt of the shipment.
NOTE 2: Failure to remove protective plastic shipping covers
can result in condensation which can lead to damage, including
mold.
3.2 All materials shall be kept dry. Gypsum panel products
shall be neatly stacked flat with care taken to prevent sagging
or damage to edges, ends, and surfaces.
3.2.1 Gypsum panel products and accessories shall be properly
supported on risers on a level platform, and fully protected
from weather, direct sunlight exposure, and condensation. Taken from: http://www.gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-07.pdf

So it was outside in the weather absorbing the condensation for how long? Unless the tarp was taped closed to stop moisture from absorbing? Including underneath it.....

This on moisture content: http://www.awci.org/cd/archiveArticles.pl?id=596&acat=7
And: http://www.wconline.com/CDA/Archive/...00f932a8c0____

Be safe, G
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote