Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Share |

dry wall cost

How much does a contractor charge to hang and paint a1000 square feet basement

Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 AM   #2
the Musigician

dry wall cost

Thank you for posting your question on the DIY Chatroom.
Questions involving pricing, such as – “How Much” certain projects cost (i.e. - certain repairs, renovations, square-footage pricing, an addition, a decks, etc., etc.) – cannot be properly answered simply by information posted on an internet forum (regardless of how much information is supplied in a particular post). There are many, many variables, which also involve site visit(s), existing conditions, final designs, local-rates, material preferences, etc.
Pricing for materials may be determined at your local supplier(s). Prices for subcontracted work are best determined by getting legitimate local contractors to submit written estimates (3 are suggested) and always checking references.
The industry generally suggests allowing a minimum of 20% buffer, over the assumed budget, for incidentals, unexpected points, material overages, etc.
We encourage you to continue to post other DIY related questions on this site.

"AtlanticWBConst."

DM

chrisBC (12-29-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Tileguy

dry wall cost

In all honesty these types of questions being asked on these forums are strongly discouraged and may even be met with some disdain. It isn’t we don’t want to help but the truth is that construction materials and labor costs vary widely around the country and around the globe. By asking these questions of us here you will not acquire any usable information. The responses you get will be random and come from persons of wide-ranging knowledge and varying techniques and will therefore be somewhat bogus at best and usually will result in arguments.
CALL A LOCAL CONTRACTOR IN YOUR AREA.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (12-29-2011), electures (05-22-2012), Jay 78 (12-27-2011), oh'mike (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 11:06 AM   #4
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

dry wall cost

a 1,000 square foot basement, could very well end up needing 3-4,000 square feet of drywall! depending on walls built, soffits needed for ductwork and piping.?

if you're building walls? I suggest you get your first line chalked in red. and square every other wall off that line, by pulling 3-4-5 or any variable thereof? 6-8-10, 9-12-15 and so on in feet. find your corner point on first line, put a pencil mark out 3 feet, then from your red chalk line, go out 4 feet the other direction making an arched line with your pencil, keep it exactly 4 feet through the arch. the distance from to 3 foot mark diagnaly to the 4 feet mark should be exactly 5 feet. the largest 3-4-5 variable you can use will be most accurate. after lines are chalked, I like to take my framing square to double check squareness, and put a good heavy pencil mark for corners, and paint them using construction ain't just heavy enough to let the pencil marks still show through! the way the marks will always be there if need re chalked after sweeping floor. use a plumb bob to transfer floor lines onto ceiling joists, to make sure top marks are plumb with floor marks so ceiling will also be square. once all partition marks are chalked, you can measure exact measurements from square lines to mark other partitions and all should be square.

once allpartitions have been built, read my post on the recommend good book, I typed the how to do drywall in pretty precise detail on how to both hang and finish drywall.

figure up total sheets of drywall needed? have it delivered, but drywall hammers, find helper and get to work. don't forget finishing tools mud and tape.

contactor cost= nothing/zilch! your costs= materials and some labor at your own speed and pace!

sand, buy paint , pans and rollers/brushes and spend a day with the mrs.!

done!!

Last edited by coupe; 12-31-2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-28-2011, 01:13 PM   #5

dry wall cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jraymond View Post
How much does a contractor charge to hang and paint a1000 square feet basement
I'm a General Contractor in Toronto,Canada and depending on how much corners and etc you have in your basement, I would probably take around a min of $550.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:03 PM   #6
Tileguy

dry wall cost

See what I mean...the boneheads just don't get it. Never fails.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
Tileguy

dry wall cost

There ya go Jraymond you better hire this guy that's a good price my friend. Totally without any information too.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:27 AM   #8

dry wall cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDIYer View Post
I'm a General Contractor in Toronto,Canada and depending on how much corners and etc you have in your basement, I would probably take around a min of $550.

wow, that's pretty freaking cheap...
Old 12-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
Too Old

dry wall cost

$550 to hang and paint 1000sq' has to be a joke.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
Residential Designer

Send a message via Skype™ to AndyGump

dry wall cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalife View Post
$550 to hang and paint 1000sq' has to be a joke.

Yeah, it couldn't be more than about $40.00 tops.

I hope this helps.

Andy.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:14 PM   #11
the Musigician

dry wall cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGump View Post
Yeah, it couldn't be more than about $40.00 tops.
True, $40.00 a square foot sounds about right.

DM
Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
Too Old

dry wall cost

Maybe you can do it for $550 but I have not seen that the materials are included and in the room, does this include taping?
Who supplies the prep material for paint?
I am sure some masking, caulking would be needed along with rollers.
Who supplies the paint and do you primer before?
IMO $550 may cover the cost of materials depending on the spec.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 PM   #13
Learning Things Every Day

dry wall cost

chrisBC (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
Tileguy

dry wall cost

This is why I always say "Wait For It". Wait for the OP to fill in some blanks. Does anyone ever listen? Hell no. Everyone has to be the first one to post their thoughts in the remote possibility that their thoughts may just fit the scenario. Ask some questions and then Wait For It.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (05-18-2012)
Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
Too Old

dry wall cost

It's more entertaining this way, being the OP never came back at least it kept going with input. I guess every post should be taken serious and only qualified answers should be given