Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2014, 01:21 PM   #1

Share |

Dry wall ceiling in basement project

Hi all,

I am slowly but surely getting my finished basement project moving. I have some firestopping to take care of then onto the inspection. Looking at the joists, I was starting to think about putting drywall up. The pictures show how the drywall will not end exactly on a joist. Would I be able to drywall as is, or do I need to add something so the edge of the drywall can screw into?
Attached Thumbnails
Dry wall ceiling in basement project-img_20140118_141203.jpg   Dry wall ceiling in basement project-img_20140118_141153.jpg  

untilcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #2
Professional

Yes, you will need some blocking in there. I usually keep all the cutoffs from framing and screw/nail them in where needed. On the first picture, I would set a 2x4 on top of your top plate and over hang it and screw it in from the bottom. In the other picture I would cut crosser to go between the 2 joist and put them at least every 2 feet, 16" would be better. Try to do this while you are framing next time, it helps when attaching your top plate and easier to do before the walls are in the way.

Also, you will have some trouble insulating the corners of your walls the way you framed it. Take one of the studs out and turn it the same as the other stud but off set by half. That way you will have a corner to screw into but you can also get the insulation in behind.

TotalHomeworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotalHomeworx View Post
Yes, you will need some blocking in there. I usually keep all the cutoffs from framing and screw/nail them in where needed. On the first picture, I would set a 2x4 on top of your top plate and over hang it and screw it in from the bottom. In the other picture I would cut crosser to go between the 2 joist and put them at least every 2 feet, 16" would be better. Try to do this while you are framing next time, it helps when attaching your top plate and easier to do before the walls are in the way.

Also, you will have some trouble insulating the corners of your walls the way you framed it. Take one of the studs out and turn it the same as the other stud but off set by half. That way you will have a corner to screw into but you can also get the insulation in behind.
Thanks! I'm gonna take your advice and place some blocking every 16. I just read somewhere that some people use a floating joint with the vertical drywall actually providing support for that seam. Will this cause cracking later on?
untilcomplete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 03:58 PM   #4
Professional

There are lots of ways to do it but this will probably be the easiest and cheapest
Old 01-18-2014, 10:28 PM   #5

The wall will support the ceiling. Many people don't screw the edges of a ceiling purposely to avoid cracks.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 11:42 PM   #6
Professional

I agree that the wall board will hold up the ceiling board, so do the ceilings first. Floating joints are to allow roof trusses to move but that is not an issue in basements. Blocking is just better and people skip it to save time.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:41 AM   #7

1st pic. = no blocks/backing the floor joist is close enough to float, IMO. I'd be more concerned how you intend to insulate the rim now you blocked access with the wall top plate... 2nd pic. backing 2x overhang your wall top plate, no drywall screws into it if within 12" of wall. Manufacturer recommends floating at this wall/ceiling intersection also (though requires backing), Chapters 4,5; http://www.lafargenorthamerica.com/G...%20English.pdf

Your floor joists flex especially when furniture loaded and people walking across= nail/screw pop; Fig.2; http://bestdrywall.com/files/ReduceCallbacks.pdf And #4.9.1 in previous link.

Need R-13 or R-20 in the bay next to the rim, rigid XPS is better....http://energycode.pnl.gov/EnergyCode...state=Maryland

Gary
PS. hint; clip any "shiners" nails that are touching but missed the floor joist through the decking above- they may squeak later.

Last edited by Gary in WA; 01-19-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote