Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #1

Share |

Does 1.5" thick drywall really exist?

I was looking for studs on the wall above my fireplace but my stud finder couldn't find them. I decided to drill a hole and noticed that the drywall was about 1.5 inches thick! No wonder my stud finder couldn't find them.

Does 1.5" thick dry wall really exist? I looked through the hole I drilled and it does not look like 2-3 wall sheets together, but instead it looks like a sold piece! Why on earth is that drywall sheet so thick?

mikheil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #2

Are you sure it is not cement board under plaster?

forresth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #3

I have never seen 1-1/2 inch drywall.

But plaster (or drywall) more than the usual 1/2 inch is needed for additional fire resistance in some locations.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikheil
I was looking for studs on the wall above my fireplace but my stud finder couldn't find them. I decided to drill a hole and noticed that the drywall was about 1.5 inches thick! No wonder my stud finder couldn't find them.

Does 1.5" thick dry wall really exist? I looked through the hole I drilled and it does not look like 2-3 wall sheets together, but instead it looks like a sold piece! Why on earth is that drywall sheet so thick?
Double 5/8 for fire rating or 3/8 wall board with mud and skim plaster. Check the cross section for paper. Look closely. How old is the house?
ianc435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:42 PM   #5

if the house is old enough, you might have gypsum board over plaster and lathe (or two remodels worth of gypsum over plaster and lathe..)
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #6

my guess is plaster if its that thick and its a normal house.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #7

thanks to all for replying.

The house was built in the late 70's. I looked at the hole cross-section but did not notice any layers of paper other than the two edges. I should look again to make sure.

Through the hole, i can measure a good three inches between the inner wall of the sheetrock and the next surface which, by scratching it with a thin piece of metal, if feels rough which indicates it must be the brick chimney structure.

Anyways, I gotta get the more expensive stud finder that can sense through the thick sheetrock.

Would you say, there must definitely be wooden studs between the sheet rock and the brick chimney structure?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikheil
thanks to all for replying.

The house was built in the late 70's. I looked at the hole cross-section but did not notice any layers of paper other than the two edges. I should look again to make sure.

Through the hole, i can measure a good three inches between the inner wall of the sheetrock and the next surface which, by scratching it with a thin piece of metal, if feels rough which indicates it must be the brick chimney structure.

Anyways, I gotta get the more expensive stud finder that can sense through the thick sheetrock.

Would you say, there must definitely be wooden studs between the sheet rock and the brick chimney structure?
Dontt bother i have one with deep scan and it very difficult to use. Tape measure and pencil and hope the framers weren't retarded. If there is base board heat on tha wall look for nail, they are on vertical studs.
I have thick walls in my house 5/8- 11/16. If i look closely its 3/8 and then mud and then a venner lokking final coat. They are good thick walls. There will no holes punched in these walls.

You could also try to find the nails with the metal detector setting or get a really strong neomidiean magnet to find nails.

Last edited by ianc435; 11-04-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:08 PM   #9
Phoenix

I dont think they make anything thicker than 3/4 drywall. I have seen it but never hung it-- god what a nightmare hanging a ceiling with that crap would be :|
Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:17 PM   #10

Look for electrical outlets. There is stud on one side or the other and start your measurements from there.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:20 PM   #11

I have a hard enough time packing 1/2" up a flight of stairs.
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axecutioner-B
I dont think they make anything thicker than 3/4 drywall. I have seen it but never hung it-- god what a nightmare hanging a ceiling with that crap would be :|
Try double 5/8 for fire code in mass for attached garage. That would suck too. Time to rent or buy jack. I bought a troy built jack off amazon for 70 dollars and paid 85 to ship it. Hung thirty sheets over 3 weeks and i still have the jack.

I have a new appreciation for rockers. Those guys hump.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:15 PM   #13

i believe they do make drywall that thick but i believe it comes in 2x4 sheets . ive seen it but never really dealt with it so dont know all about it . if you want to kill your back try some lead backed drywall used in x-ray rooms.
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #14

Well, i ended up buying the more expensive zircom stud sensor but was just as useless as the other one.

I ended up using a magnet to find the stud nails and it was extremely easy to do so. Those stud finders are a real ripoff when you can to the exact same thing with just a magnet.

I'm returning the zircom stud finders for a full refund.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
Household Handyman

If you have one: Try an electric razor. NO joke. Turn it on, place the backside against the wall but not too hard. You will hear the "buzz", then start moving it either way continuing to listen to the buzz. When you pass over a stud the buzz will become a higher pitch, over a hollow area it should be a deeper pitch. This has gotten me out of a few messes with finding studs. I now keep an old one in my work trailer just for this. David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote