Do I Need To Strap Exterior Walls (Interior Side) Before Drywall? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2011, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Do I Need To Strap Exterior Walls (Interior Side) Before Drywall?

Hi,

Can someone please help me with a little dilemma I'm having

Project in question: Replacing all the drywall in 2 bedrooms, each with 2 interior walls and 2 exterior walls.

I am between hiring a contractor to put up new drywall in my house and trying to do it on my own, i want to tear down the existing drywall in order to re-insulate and make the house a little warmer for my 2 kids. The house is 30 years old and could use a little re-fresh, the walls are pretty cold to the touch in the winter i find.

I think i have most of the details ironed out with respects to the insulation, drywall and hanging it. I am still nervous about installing the vapour barrier though, I can't find any real tutorials on how to do this.

Today's question is: Do i need to do "strapping" on the exterior walls between the vapour barrier and the drywall? Every single video, tutorial, picture etc...shows the vapour barrier stapled to the studs then the drywall screwed directly above it into the studs.
When i went to quote out the material costs, 2 different box stores told me I need to leave a 1/2" or so space between the vapour barrier and the drywall and not place it directly on the studs. I was told to use a 1 x 3 's and attach those to the studs, then screw the drywall onto the strapping.
When i tried to research this to see if it's true or not, i can not find 1 single place that mentions to do this besides the following link in the last picture:

http://www.my-green-home-project.com...tallation.html

So, do i need to do this or not?

My current exterior walls have insulation in them with a paper backing, hence no polly vapour barrier. I would be changing it out to Roxul with a polly barrier.

I would think that if i MUST use the strapping, it would then make the drywall come in about 1/2" inwards toward the room, and the drywall would no longer line up perfectly flat with the windows?? Currently my moulding sits nicely flat on them both. If the drywall were to come inwards by 1/2", it would no longer sit flush with the window?? This is what's got me concerned?

Can someone please help me with this question, it's been drying me nuts wondering the last 2 days

Thanks for your answers and thanks for a wonderful forum, I've learned so much!

Tony

Advertisement

Last edited by Dreams; 09-24-2011 at 09:41 PM.
Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 03:22 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

unless the area you live in does things a lot differently...

no, there is no need for strapping this unless you are up against concrete or a situation similar to that.

after you insulate VB goes onto wall, then board wall (ceiling first, you may find this is where your insulation is lacking is at the joists, maybe worth to cut the ceiling a couple feet back from the ext. wall.)

if you strap it you will have to bring out your electrical boxes and whatnot, and there is absolutely no need for it from what you are saying...a typical wood frame stud wall.

don't ask the people at big box stores how to do things, 1 in 5 or 10 people working there may actually have an idea what they are doing

hope it goes well..

Advertisement

Last edited by chrisBC; 09-25-2011 at 03:31 AM.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

I just wrote you a long explanation of why moisture barrier is used. But I decided to delete it.

You'll learn a lot more if you do the research for yourself.

Sorry, but you should be comfortable with WHY, and not just WHAT to do. You will only get that by digging for yourself.

Keep looking till you actually understand what insulation and moisture barriers really do in your specific geographic area. You'll sleep better after you do this.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 10:27 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Chris, Willie, for responding,

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I really appreciate it

My intentions were to include the details of my house which should have been there from the start for a more accurate response. Here they are:

Side Split
Built: 1979
Exterior covering: Brick
Interior walls (Exterior Side) 2 x 6 studs
R-Value (as per my city codes..i called last week) R-20 is required minimum and i will be inserting R-22 Roxul
Rooms is questions: 2 bedrooms on the highest level of the house (not basement)

Windows are brand new, i had all of them changed last summer, they are top quality windows and have made a huge difference in the rooms, the install was done pretty good as well, well insulated everywhere.

The walls that are really cold most of the time are the ones that have and don't have windows, so not sure if it was the windows to start.

I would "think" and hope there is Tyvec on the outside after the brick, all new construction around here has it but i don't know what the rules were 30 years ago.

That was what i was thinking reg. electrical outlets, jams, etc after strapping, including the windows, especially the windows, it would look ridiculous if i had to do this and i thought that was sorta odd to have to do that.

Willie T,
After the tons and tons of reading, on more places that i can count, I completely understand the function of the vapour barrier, what it does, and why we need it so that part is ok. For this part, i am very good.
It's more the instal of it that has me wondering...is it just the framing that gets covered or does the VB have to connect to everything? I got confused as to how it protects the inside walls from getting moisture when the outside wall and inside wall meet at the 90 degrees / corners? I see how to affix it, staples and acoustical caulking, but they new show the ends or when it meets another wall..only the front for some reason which i find the easiest part.

It just sorta made sense in a way that the space left between the strapping and the Drywall is used to circulate air and allow it to dry up. It's just when i went to look on the net how accurate this info actually was, i stumbled across the link i posted and it re-inforced what they told me...when i continued to look and see video's, everything showed otherwise HOWEVER i do see that people do this on the ceiling, this tends to me more common??

So, if strapping is not needed (can you please re-confirm based on my details above reg. my house), if i tear down the ceiling, is it needed there?

Thanks again!!
Tony
Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

The reason for stripping the ceiling is two-fold.

One, is to provide closer spacing, and therefore more support, for fastening the ceiling drywall, the "lid".

The second, and most important, is to negate the undulating ceiling surface caused by the varying crowns, sags, and bows of the framing members, be they rafters or trusses. The stripping is "shimmed" or wedged down from the bottoms of the framing members at varying increments, in varying locations, depending upon how much 'leveling' is necessary to give you a perfectly flat ceiling substructure onto which to fasten the drywall sheets.

Of course the stripping, (usually 1x3's on 16 or 12 inch centers running perpendicular to the direction of the framing members) is to be firmly fastened up into the bottoms of the ceiling framing members. Two good, long screws at each juncture is sufficient.

Last edited by Willie T; 09-26-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote