Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Do I need furring strips

I am refinishing my attic and I want to keep the ceilings as high as possible so I would rather not use furring strips if it can be avoided. The joist are nearly level and are 20 to 21 inches on center. Will that be close enough or will the drywall sag??

Also, while the joists are level relative to each other, there is one that is about 1/4 lower than the rest. Can I just use a power planer to level it off or is there something better??

Thanks

davemarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Do I need furring strips

i would use 5/8" drywall or you can use 1/2" ultra light. its rated for up to 24" o.c
as for the being 1/4" out on the one joist you probably wont even notice it with the 5/8".
or put 1/4" plywood strips on the other joists to level it up.

princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:31 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Do I need furring strips

When I framed my basement I didn't get to the drywall until about 4 to 6 weeks later. Being a bit anal, I kept putting a 4 foot level across the studs before starting to hang drywall. One of the studs had bowed outward about 1/4". I did as you thought of and ran a power planer on that stud and brought it in plumb first. I used 1/2 inch drywall on the vertical walls and was afraid it would show.
Being a DIY'er myself, that's all I'm going to say on the topic.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:54 AM   #4

Do I need furring strips

IMO, I would not hang drywall/blueboard directly to your rafters. Hang strapping its 3/4 of an inch thick. If you don't it will crack. Do it right the first time.
garywade78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 514

Do I need furring strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywade78 View Post
IMO, I would not hang drywall/blueboard directly to your rafters. Hang strapping its 3/4 of an inch thick. If you don't it will crack. Do it right the first time.

Those of us not living in NE do not use firring on ceiling joists and rarely have cracking problems you speak of.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:43 PM   #6

Do I need furring strips

i've never used furring strips unless it was needed to straighten things up. i've been in thousands of houses new and old and rarely i see furring strips. it is not the standard, atleast not around here. if its a large ceiling 1/4" really isnt that bad and that is why in most homes ceilings are painted flat. it hides lots of imperfections.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:56 PM   #7

Do I need furring strips

The Holmes don't do it? You are kidding right? You must not watch the show. Everyone of there shows that they hang drywall or blueboard to ceilings they install strapping. It's stranded in the NE. Again it's my opinion.
garywade78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #8

Do I need furring strips

I hate to step into this war, but you guys have to ease off.

By the way, I WOULD like to know if and what the difference is between furring strips and strapping. I have no idea, and would like to be enlightened.
Ray103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:12 AM   #9

Do I need furring strips

to me furring strips and strapping is basically the same thing. although when you walk into the hardware store you better say it correctly. if you say you want strapping your going to get a bunch of tooth pick twisted branch wood that as far as im concerned is useless. then if you ask for furring channel your going to get some nice straight light gauge steel for "strapping" a ceiling. and yes i agree there are a few on here that are above it all that dont have an open mind. im open to others ppls opinions and ideas because hey i might learn something. everyone has a different way of doing things in different parts of the world. but for furring strips on new framing it must be a NE thing cause its rarely done in my part of the world.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:36 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 550

Do I need furring strips

well some times you get that odd 2x and it is less then even with the rest so you have to fur it out. so the framing is equal.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:01 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,326

Do I need furring strips

Every place I have been and fortunately for me Ohio is as close to NE as I have been. Strapping for a ceiling was a piece of 1x that went from joist to joist and was basically a nailer strip, Furring was usually a 1x1 and was used to bring the sheet rock out. Like here in Fla. they are used on ext. walls that are cement block. It gives you a space for insulation and something to screw the rock to.
UAW workers make over $70 an hour including benefits selling cars to people making $20 an hour. And the car companies are broke, go figure.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:56 AM   #12
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,354

Do I need furring strips

Forum Posting Rules:
The following is a list of basic guidelines about what is and is not allowed while posting on DIYChatroom.com.

• Users shall treat each other with respect at all times on DIYChatroom.com. Name calling, personal attacks, or other inappropriate behavior will not be allowed and may cause your account to be banned.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #13
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,354

Do I need furring strips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray103 View Post
I hate to step into this war, but you guys have to ease off.

By the way, I WOULD like to know if and what the difference is between furring strips and strapping. I have no idea, and would like to be enlightened.
Ray, different things in different parts of the world must be called by other names according to what I am seeing. All my career furring strips was referred to strips of wood ripped to a certain thickness to fur something out down or up. Strapping was steel straps to tie something together as in hurricane straps in a wall.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (04-04-2013), ToolSeeker (04-04-2013)
Old 04-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #14

Do I need furring strips

I certainly didn't mean to start a fight here when I asked this question. Hopefully this next one won't restart things.

I think I'm going to pass on the furring strips since, as I mentioned, the ceilings are low and I am tall. However, when reading up on the lightweight drywall I have read some complaints that it is more brittle then normal drywall. Has anyone else run into this??

Thanks.
davemarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 550

Do I need furring strips

5/8 is what I would stick with

Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote