Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:13 PM   #1

Share |

Do I need Fire Resistant Drywall for this new room?

Finishing out my basement this winter and had a question about fire resistant drywall. I was NOT going to finish inside my utility room and just leave the walls with studs on the inside. In the attached picture the grey top wall is existing concrete foundation, the grey wall on the left is existing against the stairs. The yellow on the bottom will be a hall and the yellow to the right will be a bathroom.

Do I need to finish the interior walls of this utility room with fire resistant drywall or can I leave them open. If I leave them open do the exterior of the walls (The interior to the hall and bathroom) need to then be fire resistant?
Attached Thumbnails
Do I need Fire Resistant Drywall for this new room?-utilityroom.jpg  

vseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #2

Check Your City or County's web site or call your local Building Department for the only correct answer. This varies by locale. A few examples: http://www.aacounty.org/IP/Resources...ementGuide.pdf

Page 2 is interesting: http://www.pwcgov.org/docLibrary/PDF/005575.pdf

It may be regular drywall.... or not. You may need a weather-stripped door and outside air supply to any gas appliances. For sure you will be covering the walls with drywall for fire safety to protect your family.

Be safe, Gary

Old 12-18-2009, 01:09 PM   #3

the utility rooms like that i've seen usually have a vented door and are usually a 1-hour rating. however that is for commercial and institutional uses. residential code is a whole other animal and like GBR said you will have to check your local codes.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #4

The furnace has a outside air intake, the water heater does not so I probably either need to make sure there is a 1 - 2" gap at the bottom of the door or more likely have a door with a vent. I was thinking of also insulating the walls for noise control so maybe it would be best to just throw up some 5/8" fire resistant drywall inside the room.
vseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseven View Post
The furnace has a outside air intake, the water heater does not so I probably either need to make sure there is a 1 - 2" gap at the bottom of the door or more likely have a door with a vent. I was thinking of also insulating the walls for noise control so maybe it would be best to just throw up some 5/8" fire resistant drywall inside the room.
not a bad idea. just keep in mind that unless you follow a UL design for your wall and tape & fire caulk as required it is not a rated wall, instead just a wall with Type X GWB.

http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/t...uv_search.html

i would still check with your local codes on what is required for that room.
cellophane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:37 PM   #6
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Not much point in using 5/8" fire rated drywall with a vent in the door. Check your local building codes.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

As stated above, local codes will dictate, but as a rule utility rooms are not sheetrocked inside in a residential application. (And I'm speaking for this area.) Commercial jobs are another story. Again, as stated above, proper ventilation for the HVAC system is a must whether it is louvered doors, outside air intake, etc. Check the codes......