Do I Have To Tape? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2014, 03:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Do I have to tape?

HI Folks,
I did all the drywall work when I replaced the paneling in my den. Was happy with my new skill.
Now a really different project. I (actually electricians) are rewiring the entire house. It's big and two story. In the hard to get to first floor, my wife and I are cutting 5" by (say) 12 foot drywall strips around the walls in many rooms. It is really speeding the rewire.
We are using an Oscillating saw and a vacuum. Cuts fast with very low dust.
The cuts are very thin and smooth.
Here is my crazy question. What are the advantages of taping versus just using the mud without tape? I am cutting from center of a stud to center of a stud so all strips will be neatly be put back with screws.
Thanks for your advice!
Bob

Advertisement

bobjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:07 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 626

Do I have to tape?

The advantage is that tape is much less likely to crack.

No tape=cracks.

Advertisement

Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 04:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 636

Do I have to tape?

Where are you making these cuts?
Old 03-19-2014, 05:54 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,674

Do I have to tape?

No tape=cracks Tape=strength and no cracks.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
DIYRemodeler (03-19-2014)
Old 03-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,562

Do I have to tape?

tape is required to patch drywall and be successful ben sr
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:01 PM   #6

Do I have to tape?

Not to sound like a jerk. so let me get this right you redone all the sheetrock and now your redoing the wiring? it would have been easier to do the wiring then the sheetrock.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:41 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 618

Do I have to tape?

The difference is if you just mud over the cut spaces, you will shortly need to again mud over the cut spaces when they crack, repeat steps 1 and 2 over and over until you tape
the area. Ron
ront02769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:19 PM   #8

Do I have to tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
No tape=cracks Tape=strength and less likely to crack
Changes made
Anti-wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 04:06 PM   #9

Do I have to tape?

Thanks. No Tape equals cracks. I'll use tape.

Nailbags. Heck no. I decided to do the rewire AFTER I did the sheetrock in the den and also closed all the soffits and installed 5 step crown in the kitchen which took me awhile.

Seriously I did the drywall in the den about a year ago and was working on finishing the kitchen and I happened to talk to a realtor who said the insurance companies are no longer insuring houses with Aluminum in our area. Spoke with an insurance broker. She said she has 28 companies that provide homeowners insurance. If you have a "bad" dog breed that drops it to 12 companies that will insure; if you have aluminmum that drops it to two and only if you have pigtails crimped on with that special crimper or use the alumicon connectors. Thought that before I do the back splash I would do a complete rewire. Why? Because over the last 3 years I installed a bag and a half of the alumicon connectors and spoke with electricians about doing the rest. Did the economics and concluded to do a total rewire.
One thing that struck me was the insurance person said, " and it looks like those two companies might stop insuring aluminum wiring even with the two types on connectors.
So at least I am doing the rewire before the back splash is in. The good news about the den is that the electricians needed the least openings in that room because they accessed it from other rooms.
Joecaption. Do you mean what rooms: downstairs rooms about 32" from the floor and near ceiling above plugs and switches on the outside walls on the second floor.
Old 03-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,674

Do I have to tape?

Where is your area?
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 02:12 AM   #11

Do I have to tape?

Ah! now it makes sense! Ok you still have to tape. and use paper tape not that expensive mesh junk that will lead to other problems use paper.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 09:27 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 75

Do I have to tape?

yes use tape. Mesh can be used but sucks. But if your on straight line pieces and not corners or edges mesh might be ok.
nards444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:43 PM   #13

Do I have to tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
yes use tape. Mesh can be used but sucks. But if your on straight line pieces and not corners or edges mesh might be ok.
Mesh is never OK! maybe on a small patch? Mesh has zero strength. cut a piece of mesh and a piece of paper both about 6 inches long. take the tape in opposit corners and pull. when the mesh becomes a diamond that show it has zero strength and will crack when the house settles. paper tape is strong in all directions.. I have yet to see any sheetrock company hang drywall with mesh. to expesive in more ways then one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nailbags For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-21-2014)
Old 03-21-2014, 03:24 PM   #14

Do I have to tape?

Glad you all said to use paper. I used paper but thought I would try mesh, also the lick and stick (or wet and stick, whatever). I'll just stick with paper. Actually I might just bring in a drywall person for a couple of days since it definitely will have to be taped. The selling point is that he uses a vacuum attached sander. Frankly it's the dust that is the worst part and constantly cleaning the clogged vacuum, plus I am slow.
And faster I can get this done, the less bit*hing I'll hear.

I have to do all the painting anyway and a professional sheetrock person would work 100x faster than I would. I will have all the strips screwed in and be ready for the sheetrock person.
The area is Northeast Florida, but certainly the national companies have national policies.
The Following User Says Thank You to bobjax For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (03-21-2014)
Old 03-22-2014, 05:28 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 866

Do I have to tape?

If your going to screw the patches in yourself for a pro to finish make sure you try your best to do a good job.We hate finishing drywall someone else has hung. and usually charge extra for that reason.

Advertisement

mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote