Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #1

Share |

DeWalt Drywall gun

Hey, I have been wondering if anyone has used the DeWalt drywall gun and do they adjust manually or automatically to really install drywall that fast.

TurboDIYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:10 PM   #2
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

DeWalt Drywall gun

all screwguns, are first set manualy for depth of screws. then stay at that setting.

at least all I've seen

as always, just my thoughts.

good luck

take what helps? ignore the rest!

coupe/Larry

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #3
journeyman carpenter

DeWalt Drywall gun

coupe is right. the odd time you will find a bad screwgun which the depth set shifts on its own

hilti and milwaukee are prob the best ones available. one i would definitely avoid is the ridgid.. two major issues with them which ive seen on 4 different units were that he tip wouldnt stay in the gun and the direction button is very sensitive... too many times ive seen ridgids thrown at the floor

the dewalts are fine, just the stock philips tip's dont last very long but thats a $0.75 fix. most dewalt driver tips are too soft and strip out really easy
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:03 PM   #4

DeWalt Drywall gun

If you going to use this for just one job then there's better ways then a drywall gun.
They sell tips that can go in drills or impact screw drivers that do the same thing as a screw gun.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:08 PM   #5

DeWalt Drywall gun

http://www.amazon.com/Goldblatt-G158.../dp/B0001IW568
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #6
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

DeWalt Drywall gun

the question was on the Dewalt screw gun. I stand by my statement, you must first manually set for depth of screws! the adapter, is pre set. should work fine? keep in mind, all of them must be held in straight position to go in correctly and countersink. or will strip tips going in on angles!

as always, just my thoughts.

take what helps? ignore the rest!

good luck

coupe/Larry
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to coupe For This Useful Post:
TurboDIYer (12-28-2011)
Old 12-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #7

DeWalt Drywall gun

Those tips are a far cry of a drywall screw gun. I've used my dewalt on thousands of screws. Go to ebay and pick one up. Not very expensive. Forget the tip
ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 08:42 PM   #8

DeWalt Drywall gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
If you going to use this for just one job then there's better ways then a drywall gun.
They sell tips that can go in drills or impact screw drivers that do the same thing as a screw gun.
I totally agree. No reason for a home owner to buy a drywall gun for his own projects.
Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:28 PM   #9

DeWalt Drywall gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDIYer View Post
Hey, I have been wondering if anyone has used the DeWalt drywall gun and do they adjust manually or automatically to really install drywall that fast.

How big is the job? How much drywall you have to hang?
jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:56 PM   #10

DeWalt Drywall gun

I've hung probably 200 sheets with my gun but you know what, I like to have some tools that friends can use too. My screw gun has helped out about 4 friends to do their basements. I have a jack too that I rarely use too but all my buddies know I have it. There is gratification knowing you are helping others too. Used guns are around 60.00 on ebay
ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 12:16 AM   #11
Facilities Maintenance

DeWalt Drywall gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboDIYer View Post
You mean a cordless drill, with drywall screws?

It's as difficult as having someone hold a drywall board in place, and then having someone put a drywall screw on the tip of a drill bit of a cordless drill, and then pulling the trigger and putting weight behind the drill, pushing the screw in just beneath the surface, stopping the drill, and repeating that every 8'' down on each stud.

I can tell you right now, you can put screws into drywall faster with a "speed reload" and a regular 18v screw gun. How? SImple. Take your left hand (if you're right handed) put 10-20 screws in it, all facing the same direction. cycle screws between your middle and index finger one at a time as you put them in. If you're talking about speed, and efficiency with accuracy, you can put in 30 screws a minute doing this method. Which there is no Drywall gun that could even compare to manually feeding screws to a regular screw gun.

EDIT

3 men can drywall an entire 1600sq ft house in a day (including the cieling) minus the joint compound and taping doing this method.

Last edited by BigGuy01; 12-25-2011 at 12:27 AM.
BigGuy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #12

DeWalt Drywall gun

Quote:

It's as difficult as having someone hold a drywall board in place, and then having someone put a drywall screw on the tip of a drill bit of a cordless drill, and then pulling the trigger and putting weight behind the drill, pushing the screw in just beneath the surface, stopping the drill, and repeating that every 8'' down on each stud.

I can tell you right now, you can put screws into drywall faster with a "speed reload" and a regular 18v screw gun. How? SImple. Take your left hand (if you're right handed) put 10-20 screws in it, all facing the same direction. cycle screws between your middle and index finger one at a time as you put them in. If you're talking about speed, and efficiency with accuracy, you can put in 30 screws a minute doing this method. Which there is no Drywall gun that could even compare to manually feeding screws to a regular screw gun.

Quote:
They may have some that adjust automatically, but most adjust manually one time....then it's "set" and you can "get with it"
jproffer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #13

DeWalt Drywall gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburchill View Post
How big is the job? How much drywall you have to hang?
I'm a General Contractor so I'm using it for my team/crew.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:09 PM   #14

DeWalt Drywall gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy01 View Post

EDIT

3 men can drywall an entire 1600sq ft house in a day (including the cieling) minus the joint compound and taping doing this method.
As a General Contractor, I have used that method on my jobs but after watching an episode of Holmes Inspection, I see these guys using a DeWalt screw gun screwing on the drywall at like literally 2 screws a second.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #15

DeWalt Drywall gun

I bought a dewalt drywall gun for the remodel of my basement. And I am a DIY home owner. Not a general contractor or professional drywall installer.

Reason I bought mine was it is faster to hang drywall and was easier to hang drywall when working alone. Also, I wanted to buy it.

I have the dewalt 272 model and it is a manual for setting the depth. I did notice that you will have to adjust the settings occasionally. I noticed it when drilling into old studs compared to new studs.

If you are buying for your crew I'm guessing you'd be hanging more drywall in the future and would recommend buying a drywall gun. I liked my dewalt, but other might be just as good.

jburchill is offline   Reply With Quote