Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-31-2010, 02:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

DensArmor with Plaster Veneer

Will DensArmor accept Master Of Plaster without a primer of some sort beforehand? What do you think about leaving the M.O.P unpainted without using their finish coat? Thanks
Laura

Laura J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

Rewards Points: 2,000

which product (MOP) are you talking about?

Their veneer product states that the base coat is fine if you are going to paint or paper over it. It is designed to have a slight tooth. It sounds like it isn't designed to be left unfinished. I suspect it will be a bit too porous to leave without either paint, paper, or a finish plaster coat.

as with many products, speaking directly with the manufacturer will usually get you the best answers.

as to the DensArmor; not a clue.

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:37 AM   #3

I'll be using the veneer plaster. I was hoping maybe someone here avoided a step, either finish coat or paint, with no problems. :-). As far as the Densarmor, MOP says you can use drywall with proper prep. Thanks for the specifics MOP. Will have to call them.
Laura
Old 07-31-2010, 12:56 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

isn't densarmor the stuff with the fiberglass covering instead of paper though? If I remember it is yellow. If so, you should ask the manufacturer about that specific material. It is quite different than regular paper covered sheetrock.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #5

Yep, fiberglass on one side only. I put in a call to M.O.P. & will contact G.P. too. I'll let you know what I find.
Laura
Old 08-03-2010, 10:58 PM   #6

The word from Master Of Plaster. No plaster bonder needed over DensArmor. Tape joints & corners, imbed in M.O.P. veneer basecoat & skim coat with basecoat.
Laura
Old 08-03-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
nap
You talking to me?

what about a finish coat or paint or paper?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:27 AM   #8

The full details w/ MOP is fill tapered joints w/ basecoat let dry & tape OR imbed tape while wet & go right onto applying the base coat. Wait 24 hrs & apply another layer of basecoat. Then paint, wallpaper or apply finish coat (if you want a smoother surface or if you don't want to paint).
My opinion is that they'll be no botched seams if I veneer. Word has it that DensArmor may be more prone to telegraphing than other wallboard. Not sure if that's true.
Laura
Old 08-04-2010, 12:54 AM   #9
nap
You talking to me?

I asked because you talked like you were considering using only base and no finish plaster or paint or paper. I was curious as to that point.

sounds like you have the system down though. If you have not done plaster work before, I would suggest practicing on scrap (hard to do because you generally don't have scrap large enough to really get the feel for large areas) or start in a place that is less visible than anywhere else.

I don't remember if they had any videos on the MOP website but if they do, it surely wouldn't hurt to watch them a few times as well.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:09 PM   #10

Thanks for the heads up. I may only help... if that. We'll see. The contractor I use is real good but only does drywall "if he HAS to". :-/ It's hard to get anyone to work here - seriously. This system leaves a wide margin for error. I think I'll go with the finish coat & maybe tint it.
Laura