Dealing With Less Than Perfect Framing? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2011, 07:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

dealing with less than perfect framing?

so, i'm in an older home (built in `65), and I had a small repair to do in my basement on a corner bulkhead. (add a shutoff valve to the outdoor hose bib). The bulkhead was covered by a thin sheet of paneling. So, I put in the valve and added some rigid foam insulation to help keep the house generally more warm, and air seal. That all was easy.

The paneling cracked when I removed it and I knew you're supposed to have a fire break between the foam and the house, so I decided on drywall. The framing is an outside corner, with one side being about 11" in width and the other approx 8", so I decided to hang the drywall vertically.

So I cut the first piece and screw it in, all goes well enough. Then I did the 2nd piece, and when I screwed it in, (I started putting screws in the middle and worked my way around) turns out the corner stud was bowed inward, and the gypsum core cracked near the ceiling along the stud. So - a few questions:

1) What did I do wrong and how can I avoid that in the future?
2) How can I work with framing that is ever so slightly off in the future?
3) Can I fix what I've done or do I need to replace that piece and do it differently?

Thanks much!!!!

Advertisement

jdt141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

dealing with less than perfect framing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdt141 View Post
1) What did I do wrong and how can I avoid that in the future?
2) How can I work with framing that is ever so slightly off in the future?
3) Can I fix what I've done or do I need to replace that piece and do it differently?

Thanks much!!!!
1) Didn't do much wrong except for not inspecting the framing before hanging the board. Before hanging the board, use a straight edge (4 ft. level) and go around the room to see if there are high/low spots.

2) For framing that is off you can use a planer, add furring strips, or replace any that are bad.

3) Depending on how bad the bow is will depend on what you do. Did the gypsum crack in between the paper or is the paper visibly cracked? It is tough to say without a little more description. I am guessing that by using metal cornerbead and some additional mud you will be able to take care of it.

If it is really bad, replace the board and use some furring strips to take up the void where the stud is bowed in.

Advertisement

RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote