Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Cutting out big holes

Ready to drywall and have 2 holes in the wall where fish tanks will be going. I'm doing double layered 5/8" drywall and was just going to put the drywall up normally then cut it out once it's up. Then I read that you should not have any seams or butt joints where i'll be cutting. Could someone clarify how best to do this please.
Attached Thumbnails
Cutting out big holes-100_3510.jpg  
Mijotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Cutting out big holes

Your seams should be where the drywall is screwed into the studs, then mudded and taped. You would not want to cut holes in the studs. I guess I do not understand what you are asking?

What do you mean exactly by large holes? If you are taking a huge chunk out of a sheet of drywall you may have to frame for the opening you plan to cut so you do not abrade and tear up the drywall passing things through it.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:35 PM   #3

Cutting out big holes

And I don't understand why you would double up the drywall to 11/4 thick.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 01:36 PM   #4

Cutting out big holes

no not cutting the studs. Just drywalling around this framed opening in the picture. Was wondering if I should cut the drywall in smaller pieces to fit around the opening or put full sheets up and then cut out the opening in the drywall with a saw/dremmel.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:37 PM   #5

Cutting out big holes

doubling it up for soundproof purposes.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #6

Cutting out big holes

Go to some websites on soundproofing you will find by doubling up what you gain will be very minimal.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #7

Cutting out big holes

Actually you're wrong. But I don't want this to be about that. Just asking what would be the best way to install drywall around these openings is all. Was wondering if I should cut the drywall in smaller pieces to fit around the opening or put full sheets up and then cut out the opening in the drywall with a saw/dremmel.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:41 PM   #8

Cutting out big holes

Full sheets and a real drywall saw will work best.
http://www.bing.com/shopping/search?...RM=HURE#x0y260
Mijotter (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 05:13 PM   #9
Retired from the grind

Cutting out big holes

Single layer of drywall is all you need. If you want to up it up, use Purple or Green Board, where the tank is going to sit, for the sides and top.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:15 PM   #10
Retired from the grind

Cutting out big holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijotter View Post
doubling it up for soundproof purposes.
Sound proof for what? Your fish are not going to make a sound. If you are worried about the pump & filter system, you can get remote located units, that can be located below the tank.

All you need to do, is just use Roxwool on the wall that the tank is on, and no need for Green Glue, doubled Gypsum, or OSB before Gypsum. You are not building a practice room for a band, just making an opening for a fish tank.

: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Cutting out big holes

You will have more taping and mudding to do if you piece around the opening. Either way will work though. I would cut the opening out of sheet once it is attached with a drywall saw or roto tool.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
DIY staff

Cutting out big holes

Simply sheet over the opening like it was not there----avoiding seams within 12 or 16 inches of the opening---

this will help prevent seams opening up around the opening---the extra wood framing frequently moves a bit seasonally--which can cause problems with seams near that area---

As to doubling up the drywall for sound deadening----that's not my area of knowledge--- If you wish to--it can't hurt----Mike-----
Mijotter (04-20-2013)
Old 04-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #13

Cutting out big holes

Awesome, thanks a lot for the info guys. First layer is up and looking good
Old 04-20-2013, 10:20 PM   #14
Retired from the grind

Cutting out big holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijotter View Post
Awesome, thanks a lot for the info guys. First layer is up and looking good
That is all you need, is one layer on each side of the wall, with Roxwool in between, or closed cell foam. A second one is over kill.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:15 PM   #15

Cutting out big holes

For standard walls sure. But i'm building a theater room and sound proofing by double walling it(room within a room) Going to turn out great

Tags
butt joints, drywall, fish tank, hole, seam