Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-24-2011, 10:41 AM   #1

Share |

Cut potlight out too large for retrofit fixture, help?

So I made a slight mistake and cut the hole for a potlight a little larger than I should have by about 1/2" all around, so 1" diameter wider than it should have been.

This is not changeable as while it is a retrofit light, it's going inside a IC safe housing. The hole in the housing if the perfect diameter so the clamping side of the light will be within the sheet metal. I'm primarily concerned with the outer edge of the light where the retrofit light will be clamped from.

I was planning on using the setting-type 90 compound for initial fill and taping, would I just run a ring of this compound around the hole to fill it up?

The same question goes for a couple of my electrical boxes and light fixture boxes where I cut the hole maybe 1/4 to 1/2" too wide around in some cases. Mud around and it should stick?

ahzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #2

mis a small batch of 20 minute setting type compound and paper tape.

williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #3

Where would I use the tape? This is a round hole and I just want to fill it up all the way around to a 1/2" fill.
ahzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #4

a claifornia patch is easy cut out drywall from scrap piece cut to taylor shape such as your electric boxes make the cut out 1"to 2" bigger than spot on back of sheet rock brown paper side score the cut to exact fit size break plaster in the rock and peel rock from paper side this is a tiddiuos task and may take a few attempts to perfect you can do this in a square or circle put cut edge to light or box apply mud to side touching sheet rock and to paper flap wipe tight and finish to perfection this keeps you from having to tape this and if gap is to big when tapeing it will sag and cause more work the cali patch is putting rock back into the hole i mud all ends before putting patch in hole if you want perfection this cali patch is the tickett
lrobertstoner is offline   Reply With Quote