Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #1

Share |
Exclamation

Cut edge meeting tapered edge of drywall

I am installing some new drywall in a house that im remodeling. I have some cut edges that meet the tapered edge. They are not even of course but when i put a level on the drywall i can see the space that needs mudding to make it right. Is it ok for this to happen, and do i just need to mud the seam to make up the difference of the offset then tape and go on like a butt joint?

brad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:23 PM   #2
nap
You talking to me?

how do you end up with a cut edge meeting a tapered edge?

nap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:52 PM   #3

Its where i cut a piece with a knife. Its a butt joint but not with the factory tapered edge.
brad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
nap
You talking to me?

It would be better if you could take it back to where a reduced edge joint is but if not, you treat it like a butt joint only you will have a considerable amount of mud under the tape on the side with the tapered edge.

so, you were on the right track already.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:05 PM   #5

The solution to this is to fill in the recess first. Just load it with compound and scrape level with a wide taping knife. After the surfaces are level, then tape and finish as usual. If you don't fill first, it is difficult to correctly embed the tape.
drywallinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nap View Post
how do you end up with a cut edge meeting a tapered edge?
Of all things, I just ran into an example. My stairwell into the basement was finished down to the bottom edge of the floor joist when the house was built. When I put sheet rock up hoizonally, I'm putting a factory beveled edge against the bottom of a cut end. When I read this originally I thought 'I wouldn't make that transition' but, I am now. Ha ha ha
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

It's completely acceptable. No need to pre-fill the tapered edge, just tape and finish. A 10" or 12" knife will be wide enough to fill the void ...
Old 02-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #8
nap
You talking to me?

It happens. You just try to avoid it as much as possible.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #9

That transistion doesn't concern me. I just thought it funny that after the conversation I ran into it. I think I'm going to have someone hang and finish my basement. I could do it, but it's hard by yourself and at 60 years old, I pay for it with soreness a lot longer than I use to. That sticks in my throat saying it, but I have to be honest. Not to mention the time savings.
MikeKy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:36 AM   #10
Drywall contractor

I'm not quite 60 (2 more years), but I know the feeling. I don't even try to hang the amount of rock I did in a day's time 10 years ago. Ya gotta slow down at some point. Neck, back, and 2 shoulder surgeries helped convince me of that fact.....