Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

custom tile shower ceiling

I recently had my basement drywalled. The drywaller used cement board for the all the walls in the shower area and greenboard for the ceiling. The walls and the ceiling will both be tile.

I am having a separate contractor tile and finish the entire bathroom and shower. Should I have the new contractor replace the green board in the shower ceiling with cement board? I have read conflicting opinions on this matter

I'm not sure if this impacts the answer but I strapped the ceiling so that my floor joist span is only 10" so the greenboard is ok from that point of view. And I plan on using a kerdi membrane system for the walls and ceiling.

thanks

mj

Last edited by maljeff; 08-21-2012 at 09:58 AM. Reason: more accurate title
maljeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:07 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 106

custom tile shower ceiling

Well if you're using Kerdi on the ceiling, then of course you don't have to replace drywall with cement board.

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote