Cracks Along Tape Lines - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-04-2013, 02:40 PM   #1
Joe Average

Rewards Points: 10

Cracks along tape lines

Two part question here:

1. I moved into a home 1 year ago that already had a fair amount of cracks in the drywall walls and now there are more. There was also separation of the baseboards and crown molding at the corners. We had a review done of the foundation and they said it was within tolerance. We live in an area with very solid bedrock. Currently I am seeing more cracks, but never jagged, always along the tape lines. Also more separation in the corners as well as sides of stars next to wall. House is 16 years old. Should I be concerned about foundation or is there something else going on here?

2. Should I at some point repair those cracks, what is the best method? I think it is tearing out the old tape, retape, float, and texture. Is that it? Lot of work.

Thanks for the help/ advice.

Advertisement

qualls6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,670

Cracks along tape lines

The first thing that came to my mind was wrong tape or wrong mud or just a poor tape job or maybe mixed too much water in their mud. But yes I would say you need to repair if for nothing else but the aesthetics. But from what you have described you really don't need to be in a rush. And you are pretty spot on for the way to repair.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #3
Joe Average

Cracks along tape lines

Thanks for the reply. Wrong tape or mud would not explain the separation at the baseboards and molding. I am sorry to hear that that is the proper way to fix the cracks. Was hoping for an easier way. You're right though, no hurry if it is still cracking.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:33 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 746

Cracks along tape lines

Just curious what type of temps do you keep your house at during winter/summer? Any idea on humidity levels? If your house gets to extreme in any of those it could cause shrinkage/expansion to the point of cracking. I don't know if this would be contained to the would framing moving and causing cracks or if the compound itself will shrink/expand enough to cause issues.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
Joe Average

Cracks along tape lines

Temp is controlled at all times and pretty moderate. Between 68 and 75. Don't see humidity being an issue. Besides, I wouldn't think temp or humidity swings would cause separation at the baseboards. Crack the caulking maybe but not create a sizable gap.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:25 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 626

Cracks along tape lines

I am going to go out on a limb here. Newly built home? If so sounds like the builder used green lumber. That is not equivalnt to eco friendly lumber. it means a moisture content of greater then 19%. The studs are shrinking and curing still. Now that is my assumption. With nothing to go on but what you discribed.

Advertisement

Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote