Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Cracked drywall at joint near door?

So I have an outside joint coming together and the drywall has a few holes where the joint is coming up at a couple places. Would the right fix be to just use joint compound to fill the holes and sand it down? Or should I put some sort of backer on it (eg: joint tape or the mesh drywall tape)?

Pic is attached.

The holes are small so just not sure what the best way to handle it would be.
Attached Thumbnails
Cracked drywall at joint near door?-1.jpg  

ClemsonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 12:59 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

If that's a metal corner piece, I'd make sure that it is screwed back in properly, using drywall scres into the holes that run up and down the piece. Chip away till you find some. Then all-purpose drywall compound, primed and repainted.

“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:12 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,028

Nails tend to work better for fastening metal bead than screws, but most people are used to using screws. Just make sure to pull the screws up flush with the edge of the bead. You'll likely pull more of the bead loose trying to get it pulled tight, but just keep going until no more mud cracks loose. As stated above, chip out ALL loose mud. A setting type compound would be best for at least the first fill coat to reduce "shrinkage" and number of coats. But if this is the only repair you have, probably not worth buying a bag. Ready mix will work fine, just need additional coat(s).......
Old 11-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #4
Painting Company, NY

Rewards Points: 530

Clean out the crack and coat it with durabond, flush with the surface. Then when that dries put a piece of mesh tape over the crack about 2 inches longer than the crack on. C each end. Coat the tape with a 4-6 inch knife with ready mixed compound. When it dries recoat with a wider knife, like a 10 inch. Sand, prime, and paint.
housepaintingny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:25 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

I ended up doing what the ccarisle posted. I dug up a bit closer to the corner, found the holes and drywall screwed them in. This worked great - then I patched over the holes I made and just got done painting it. Looks great!

Thanks much.
ClemsonJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 03:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

Great! Look I'm no pro with drywall or anything so I learned something too. The primer does a lot of the work in smoothing out the transition compound/drywall. Some people skip the primer...not a good idea.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:27 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Is that door hard to latch? If so, I suspect the corner bead may crack mud again unless you fix the door, or you have children..... Little sticky round felts on the door stop where it hits first will help. Or adjust the strike plate by moving it out or tapping it open more with a chisel and hammer. If not a door/wall movement problem, the bead just wasn't nailed on enough. Then just move along folks, nothing to see here....
Be safe, Gary