Cover Drywall In Garage? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cover drywall in garage?

Really looking for some input on whether drywall inside a garage needs to be covered or not (?).
I have a friend who has been told she needs to put wood on top of her drywall in her garage. I am worried this isn't the case. We live in the upper northwest area, north Idaho's panhandle; where moisture isn't to common besides the snow that would tracked in on the tires of a vehicle. The drywall sits ~18" off the ground and has been uncovered for 13 years.

Any information would be nice, such as if: can be done with a thick coat of primer to protect the wearing down process?

Thanks kindly, Shir

Advertisement

shirania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Cover drywall in garage?

Some ones been given some misinformation.
Primmer and two coats of paint is all that's needed.
How do you figure sheet rocks going to wear down?
If it's 18" up off the floor then water on the floor should have 0 effect on the sheet rock.

Advertisement

shirania (07-22-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Cover drywall in garage?

As I thought... I'm very frustrated with her brother-in-law at the moment. he originally stated he'd build a fence for free. Then after she bought all the materials told her she had to pay for labor.

Just seemed off to me, Thanks joe!
shirania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,214

Cover drywall in garage?

He's a talker----suggest to your friend that she stop listening--

You have him figured out already---she will soon enough,
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,682

Cover drywall in garage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post

You have him figured out already---she will soon enough,
maybe not. i keep tellin my MIL stuff. she never listens. and i am proven right time after time. and she still doesn't listen.

i had drywall in my last garage. all the way to the floor. only bad spot was right by the door, and was small.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 610

Cover drywall in garage?

A few rules that have worked for me.
Except people, do not waste time trying to figure them out. It would be like trying to teach a pig to sing. All it does is piss off the pig.
I get people stopping by every week asking me how to do something that they have no clue how to do, but that want to do it anyway to "save" money.
They just stand there and say, no I'm not going to do it that way because someone at work (or where ever) did it without sanding, priming, cleaning, leveling, what ever depending on the job.
Then when it fails they blame the materials, the store that sold it to them whatever gets them off the hook.

Advertisement