DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Drywall & Plaster (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/)
-   -   A couple drywall questions (http://www.diychatroom.com/f101/couple-drywall-questions-130929/)

1dumbquestion 01-22-2012 12:44 AM

A couple drywall questions
 
Hey guys, looked in my DIY book from home depot and couldn't find my answers so here I am again. What is the spacing for nailing drywall (yes I'm nailing not screwing, don't ask). When I do the bathroom do I need to install the green drywall everywhere or just around the tub/shower? My furnace is in a closet in the middle of the house (at least it will be) do I need to hang 5/8 drywall in there? That's all for this round. Thanks, 1

jasonreck71 01-22-2012 03:14 AM

Green drywall just goes around the tub shower area.

As far as spacing not sure there is a stead fast rule, but I've always but a nail/screw every 2 feet going north to south. More if required around boxes.

As far as the furnace goes, when we built our house they put in 1/2", but I would check code. If not just err on the side of overkill and do 5/8"

abracaboom 01-22-2012 06:32 AM

5 or 6 nails on the inside studs, 7 or 8 nails on the edge studs, every 6 inches on the plates.

Gary in WA 01-22-2012 09:12 PM

"When I do the bathroom do I need to install the green drywall everywhere or just around the tub/shower? My furnace is in a closet in the middle of the house (at least it will be) do I need to hang 5/8 drywall in there?"------ Anywhere but- in the tub/shower area; http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/drywal...throom-130774/
Check local AHJ for furnace area (comb. air supply, appl. clearance, etc.), need a permit anyway, just for your H.O. Insurance carrier, if ever a claim.

Gary

dberladyn 01-28-2012 01:09 PM

I assume you are using 1/2 board? Yes there are rules for how many nails/screws and where they go.

If you are nailing the entire sheet you should nail roughly every 12" around the perimeter of the sheet. On butt joints every 6". In the field, nail to the studs (which are on 16" centers) in two rows... if the sheet is laid down and not stood up these rows would be at 16" and 32" from the bevel. Remember when you nail in the field you have to double nail to avoid popping. At each place you nail you have to actually use TWO nails spaced one inch apart.

Screws are better.

michaelcherr 01-28-2012 01:18 PM

I know you said don't ask, but why would you even consider nailing drywall?

dberladyn 01-28-2012 01:39 PM

If you are asking me...

Well, I have the tools, so no, I would not consider ever nailing drywall. I wouldn't even use nails in the places that go under the tape. Screws only. But having said all that there isn't anything "wrong" with nailing it if you nail it properly.

My house was built in 1969 and it's completely nailed, no screws at all. There's no issues because it was built by people who were real Tradesmen.

As a Professional Drywaller I would only nail if it was someone else's place and there was really no other option due to time restraints. IE I had one sheet to put up and for some reason I had no screws/screwgun/drill.

Dan

Beanfacekilla 01-28-2012 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonreck71 (Post 830876)
Green drywall just goes around the tub shower area.

As far as spacing not sure there is a stead fast rule, but I've always but a nail/screw every 2 feet going north to south. More if required around boxes.

As far as the furnace goes, when we built our house they put in 1/2", but I would check code. If not just err on the side of overkill and do 5/8"

I disagree with this (bold section). Bathrooms are very moist places, and it is my opinion that moisture/mold resistant drywall should be used for the entire bathroom. It will not cost that much more, since most bathrooms don't require alot of drywall. That being said, how can it possibly hurt to use green drywall in a bathroom??

I believe code here (michigan) is 5/8" drywall for a fire stop.

dberladyn 01-28-2012 08:05 PM

That's a VERY COMMON... mistake.

You do NOT need, nor is there any reason to use Aqua board in any place other than the tub/shower in a bathroom. Now there really is no harm in using it other than cost and the fact that to anyone who knows what they are doing... it looks completely unprofessional.

Personally, I don't like doing any job where "somebody" wasted their time putting green board up. It gives me that feeling that I am working around people who don't know what they are doing. Maybe one day I'll spend sometime experimenting, but I swear from my recollection that green board finishes a little differently. There's something about the paper where the tools don't slide the same (not that any of you would notice).

Anyways you are WASTING your money if you think you're getting any benefit in using green board outside the tub/shower. And even there you shouldn't be using green/aqua board you should be using Tile Backer... it's a Vinyl Faced Dens-Glass product. Cuts just like drywall.

The rest of your bathroom is NOT subject to heavy water splashing therefor the paint is a sufficient barrier.

Beanfacekilla 01-28-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dberladyn (Post 837427)
That's a VERY COMMON... mistake.

You do NOT need, nor is there any reason to use Aqua board in any place other than the tub/shower in a bathroom. Now there really is no harm in using it other than cost and the fact that to anyone who knows what they are doing... it looks completely unprofessional.

Personally, I don't like doing any job where "somebody" wasted their time putting green board up. It gives me that feeling that I am working around people who don't know what they are doing. Maybe one day I'll spend sometime experimenting, but I swear from my recollection that green board finishes a little differently. There's something about the paper where the tools don't slide the same (not that any of you would notice).

Anyways you are WASTING your money if you think you're getting any benefit in using green board outside the tub/shower. And even there you shouldn't be using green/aqua board you should be using Tile Backer... it's a Vinyl Faced Dens-Glass product. Cuts just like drywall.

The rest of your bathroom is NOT subject to heavy water splashing therefor the paint is a sufficient barrier.

Wow dude. I did say that my comments were my opinion. A bathroom is a moist place, from showering.

And how is anyone "wasting their time" putting up green board. Does it take longer to hang greenboard than standard drywall?

As for the cost: in an average bathroom, what are we talking about here... $20??

So according to you, using greenboard in a bathroom "looks completely unprofessional"??

I merely stated my opinion (I specified this in my post), and you pretty much come out and say I have no idea what I am doing because I use greenboard in a bathroom.

I don't know what crawled up your ***, or what makes you think you are the authority on the use of greenboard. I don't care what you think. I don't need approval from you, nor do I care what you think "looks completely unprofessional".

You need to relax dude, this is a forum. People come here for advice, and to share their opinions and views. Attacking someone else for their opinion, is completely unprofessional, and serves no purpose (other than boosting your own ego perhaps).

This kind of attitude is not going to help anyone, including the OP. If you find it necessary to argue and act like you know everything, then fine. However, I don't feel it is necessary. It is just rude. You seem like a total narcissist.

Regardless, thanks for sharing your opinion. Live and let live.

Peace.

Beanfacekilla 01-28-2012 08:54 PM

Yup. Peace.

joecaption 01-28-2012 09:00 PM

My guess is this is a non permited job your doing or you would soon find out you should have done this right the first time.
We used to be required to use Green board now they have gone a step further and want paperless sheetrock.
Reasons to use screws and not nails.
Smaller hole to fill and no dimples.
Far more holding power.
No crushing of the gypsom behind the nail.

Beanfacekilla 01-28-2012 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dberladyn (Post 837427)
That's a VERY COMMON... mistake.

You do NOT need, nor is there any reason to use Aqua board in any place other than the tub/shower in a bathroom. Now there really is no harm in using it other than cost and the fact that to anyone who knows what they are doing... it looks completely unprofessional.

Personally, I don't like doing any job where "somebody" wasted their time putting green board up. It gives me that feeling that I am working around people who don't know what they are doing. Maybe one day I'll spend sometime experimenting, but I swear from my recollection that green board finishes a little differently. There's something about the paper where the tools don't slide the same (not that any of you would notice).

Anyways you are WASTING your money if you think you're getting any benefit in using green board outside the tub/shower. And even there you shouldn't be using green/aqua board you should be using Tile Backer... it's a Vinyl Faced Dens-Glass product. Cuts just like drywall.

The rest of your bathroom is NOT subject to heavy water splashing therefor the paint is a sufficient barrier.

I prefer a concrete board with a waterproofing membrane (such as kerdi, nobleseal, etc.). To each his own.

Notice that I am not going on a rant saying you have no idea what you are talking about, completely unprofessional, blah blah blah, because I don't agree with you.

dberladyn 01-28-2012 09:11 PM

You don't have to like my post, but do understand that I am a Professional Drywaller of over 20 years. I work for some of the most respected outfits in the industry (my location) and I typically work on 100 million dollar projects.

Beanfacekilla 01-28-2012 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dberladyn (Post 837491)
You don't have to like my post, but do understand that I am a Professional Drywaller of over 20 years. I work for some of the most respected outfits in the industry (my location) and I typically work on 100 million dollar projects.

Yeah, I understand your ego is about the size of the great state of Alaska.

You are the greatest, and you know everything. My opinion is wrong, because it differs from your opinion. You are the authority on drywall, because you have done it for 20 years, and how dare I disagree with you.

I was being more than a little bit sarcastic.

That's fine if you know alot. Don't attack me because you don't like my opinion. It is disrespectful and rude. It is not productive.

We don't have to argue anymore. Let's just agree to disagree. It's easy.

:thumbsup:

Peace.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:53 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved