Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-03-2012, 12:04 AM   #1

Share |

Corner question

Hey guys wondering if this is a simple problem to mud and coat or I need to redo wall?
Attached Images

Aloha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 AM   #2
the Musigician

Corner question

I've done worse.... that shouldn't be any problem.

DM

Old 01-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Corner question

Whatever you pre-fill that with, give it plenty time to dry between layers. That's almost a cat-stuffer.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
the Musigician

Corner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
Whatever you pre-fill that with, give it plenty time to dry between layers. That's almost a cat-stuffer.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
Good point.... we all know how hard it is to mud over a cat!

...especially when they're still alive.....

DM
Old 01-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #5

Corner question

When I have to deal with an inside corner like that I've had good luck using the tape with two steel bands made into it. It's Flex band or something like that. Lowes and HD both have it.
It keeps the corner nice and straight and help to span the crack with out having to prefill it.
What's up with the plywood looking, looks like a ledge. Remove it before doing your taping or you will get mud all over it and have to work around it.
If that's what your going to use to cap a wall (looks like a stairway) reconsider, depending on what look your going for, if painted use lamininated shelving board. You can buy it up to 11 1/2" wide. With laminiated it's not likly to curl like a soild piece of pine.
If it's stained think about using some Red Oak.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #6

Corner question

Hey Joe the "ledge" is a substrate platform that I plan on using for granite top. The side with ledge is actually about 4' high. Kind of hard to tell from picture.
Thanks for all the advice.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #7

Corner question

It still needs to go so you will have room to work.
Make sure to have that piece made big enough to be able to trim out the bottom of it around the drywall.
A fancy simple trim to use is what's called base cap. Look it up.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #8

Corner question

So I should trim it so it's flush with drywall?

What do u recommend like a jigsaw?
Old 01-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #9

Corner question

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
It still needs to go so you will have room to work.
Make sure to have that piece made big enough to be able to trim out the bottom of it around the drywall.
A fancy simple trim to use is what's called base cap. Look it up.
Hey Joe even though the granite is gonna have a little overhang I still need to trim back plywood. Sorry if dumb question I'm just trying to understand importance of removing plywood lip.
Thanks for ur time
Attached Images

Old 01-03-2012, 01:37 PM   #10
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Corner question

yes, that corner can be filled and taped. I'd run 3 or 4 screws in the crack 1/8" or a bit more past the face of drywall for mud to act as a brick tie holding the mud in. open bucket of mud, use straight out of bucket no mixing. just knead it with your knife in your mud pan, use the end of your knife to force mud all way into crack covering screw heads.

when its full, when you run your tape, run it as usual running your knife on the crack side first making sure the tape is embedded into the mud good. if you're doing this being paid by the sheet? this corner could mean the difference in getting next job! you want excellent references, which will mean taking some extra time on this corner. it's going to shrink a lot and take longer to dry, probably 2 extra coats. bad corners pop out much more than joints. if you're doing it for yourself? an extra day's drying time, and 5 minutes a couple time to re-coat, is worth the effort to make it look good.

if you're going to add water? I wouldn't personally for this fill, next coats, sure go ahead.

if you can't take the time to do it right! how will you find time to do it twice?

Last edited by coupe; 01-03-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Tileguy

Corner question

If you try to fill that open crack with regular joint compound it probably won't dry thoroughly for two weeks depending on atmospheric conditions and it will shrink terribly as it dries probably taking the tape with it.

I would fill the crevasse with "45 minute joint compound". It will get hard quickly and you will be able to go about taping and filling that corner naturally.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #12
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Corner question

thank you Bud, for not directly attacking my post. we may see eye to eye on something yet?

I did say compound would shrink a lot, take longer to dry, two weeks? I personally, don't like to use kwikset for several reasons.

yes it dries faster and harder, it's messier to mix with the dust, it tends to dry on your tools while using it, it's harder to keep your tools clean. for the small amount the op needs, with the time it takes to fill that gap, I bet it's already began to dry on their knife. and set up in their pan.

I also said would take extra coats as tape will sink in as compound dries.

that being said, both methods will work. they can end up with a nice looking corner
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:25 PM   #13

Corner question

Added photos
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2012, 10:55 AM   #14

Corner question

use the same (hot mud) stuff I recommended in your other post. Use 45 or 20 mins. Corners are harder when both sides are empty. Best to fill one side go to another area to prefill that needs it then go back and fill the other side of the corner. Paper beads with the metal in the middle are crap... because if you don't put enough mud on the drywall your paper will bubble then your no further ahead.. and HO who have never taped usually never put enough mud.. Most pros prefill then paper tape (flush) the corners.

If you have never taped before it would be wise to get a taper! or at least get a quote it's probably cheaper and faster in the long run....

good luck LR

luckyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote