Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 143
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

corner bead question hiding mud line


I think I might have a potentially tricky challenge.

This summer I did some work on a dining room soffit (is that what it's called?) putting in recessed light as you can see from the pic.

I drywalled this wall which was plaster and ran out of time when I got the to doorway.

I finished the soffit and wall and painted but left the doorway for another break to finish.

AS you can see I am putting up corner bead and my challenge is to get an invisible transition around the door.

I will of course use joint compound but I am wondering do I need to go extra far out from the bead in order to get an invisible transition?

The Soffit I did go out maybe 8" to get a good transition but here I have the
lighted wall which will show bumps or uneven stuff glaringly.

THANKS!
Attached Thumbnails
corner bead question hiding mud line-awallissue11.jpg  


Last edited by petros151; 02-17-2012 at 05:22 PM. Reason: mistake
petros151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #2
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,631
Rewards Points: 16
Default

corner bead question hiding mud line


With a light shining down like that --you will want to go out 12" or more----

Use bag mix first (easy sand) to ensure a solid base that won't crack--then top with Light weight (blue lid) for easier sanding----

Examine your work in the evening with those can lights on---

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
petros151 (02-17-2012)
Old 02-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 143
Rewards Points: 0
Default

corner bead question hiding mud line


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
With a light shining down like that --you will want to go out 12" or more----

Use bag mix first (easy sand) to ensure a solid base that won't crack--then top with Light weight (blue lid) for easier sanding----

Examine your work in the evening with those can lights on---
ok thanks. I can see this will be too long a project to get it perfect and if it gets messed up OMG it could be bad with those lights pointing out the unevenness.

I decided to take off the corner bead and use some simple outside corner cap molding. NOW here's a question I incl. a little illustration. In order to get a mitered corner look you have to do a half miter cut on the wall and a flat 90 cut on the door frame side. I did a test cut with a miter saw, not that easy to get the 45 corner it's hard to cut perfectly straight. IS there any way to use a power tool to get this kind of cut, it's tricky!
Attached Thumbnails
corner bead question hiding mud line-acap.jpg  
petros151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,350
Rewards Points: 20
Default

corner bead question hiding mud line


Is this going to be just an opening or is there a door going in there?
Not a great plan to try and use outside corner molding.
It going to stick out like a sore thumb.
Go back with the sheetrock return or use 1 X lumber to form jambs and use casing on the walls.
Before the trim or sheetrock return went on the baseboard needed to come off.
That baseboard and cap molding is a mess on the right side concider removing it and doing it all in one piece.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:40 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: ohio
Posts: 1,093
Rewards Points: 0
Default

corner bead question hiding mud line


it is to late now but for future reference usually can lights are off of wall a lot more than that so they do not "white wash" the walls as is what you see in picture and i do agree that best look would be a jamb and casing route
jaydevries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #6
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,631
Rewards Points: 16
Default

corner bead question hiding mud line


Quote:
Originally Posted by petros151 View Post
ok thanks. I can see this will be too long a project to get it perfect and if it gets messed up OMG it could be bad with those lights pointing out the unevenness.

I decided to take off the corner bead and use some simple outside corner cap molding. NOW here's a question I incl. a little illustration. In order to get a mitered corner look you have to do a half miter cut on the wall and a flat 90 cut on the door frame side. I did a test cut with a miter saw, not that easy to get the 45 corner it's hard to cut perfectly straight. IS there any way to use a power tool to get this kind of cut, it's tricky!

Set a scrap of 1x2 against the fence---then set the cap molding on top of that--

Making a miter cut into the scrap first helps---they are tricky to think out as the corner mark is inside the corner molding---
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oh'mike For This Useful Post:
petros151 (02-18-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 143
Rewards Points: 0
Default

corner bead question hiding mud line


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Is this going to be just an opening or is there a door going in there?
Not a great plan to try and use outside corner molding.
It going to stick out like a sore thumb.
Go back with the sheetrock return or use 1 X lumber to form jambs and use casing on the walls.
Before the trim or sheetrock return went on the baseboard needed to come off.
That baseboard and cap molding is a mess on the right side concider removing it and doing it all in one piece.
Just and opening no door. I was considering trimming with casing and matching the victorian style of the other door openings. But I was thinking I'd like to *not* highlight this opening with that much trim though. That's why I originally thought just corner bead but I did not think ahead so got my self into a jam.

If I do the corner bead I could paint it and maybe it will blend in and not look so obvious. I have some cap molding that is small width little less than corner bead sized.

The door opening was reduced due to some inside the kitchen factors that I had to change and I am hoping to wood putty and caulk that cut piece of baseboard and trim then sand it and paint so it won't look too bad.

All this comes from not much experience and doing it bits and pieces when time allows. I'm hoping it'll pull together if not I could change it to wood jambs and trim it.

Thanks for the info!
petros151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,350
Rewards Points: 20
Default

corner bead question hiding mud line


No wood puddy is going to cover that.
One piece would be best.
By doing this differant then the other doors your bringing more attention not less.

Then those light act as spot light to show all the flaws.
Why did you install those there? There's to many, there to small and to close to the wall.

Last edited by joecaption; 02-18-2012 at 07:27 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 143
Rewards Points: 0
Default

corner bead question hiding mud line


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
No wood puddy is going to cover that.
One piece would be best.
By doing this differant then the other doors your bringing more attention not less.

Then those light act as spot light to show all the flaws.
Why did you install those there? There's to many, there to small and to close to the wall.
inexperience is the reason all that happened. Had an idea tried it live and learn! Really the lights actually look nice most people say "wow nice never seen that before"

the good thing is I can try the cap molding if it looks bad I can tear out and go to jamb and case molding not that bad.

I'll bet you a buck I can make the base trim so you will not notice it after I"m done. Won't get to it for a few days. I mean if you casually look at it you will not notice if you get on the floor with a flashlight you will.
petros151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 06:02 PM   #10
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,631
Rewards Points: 16
Default

corner bead question hiding mud line


Good luck with the trim---Like you said," If it doesn't look good I can change it" --

You will do fine----

__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Corner bead question Aloha1 Drywall & Plaster 10 02-21-2012 09:38 PM
Taping corner bead? kupalino Drywall & Plaster 3 05-07-2010 08:58 AM
Paper faced Metal inside/outside corners? slinku2020 Remodeling 6 03-20-2009 10:16 PM
drywall corner bead drewhart Drywall & Plaster 2 10-22-2008 09:28 AM
How to mitre bullnose corner bead?? Arbs Building & Construction 3 01-28-2008 12:32 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.