Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #1

Share |

Corner Bead Question

Hope this isn't tooo dumb of a question, I tried searching for this, but couldn't find a clear answer.

When replacing or installing new conerbead, and putting joint compound on it, do I cover the whole bead, the actual corner and all?

What generally happens to me is I use the knife to put on the mud and when trying to feather it out I scrape away the stuff from the actual very tip of the corner, so that if I left it that way there would be a tiny exposed amount of metal running down the corner.

Is that ok? I've been trying to cover it and it seems difficult, as I seem to get it covered ok, but then when I sand to make flat I'll many times accidentally sand enough to expose the metal again, and have to go through applying compound over the exposed part and waiting for it to dry again.

So I'm curious if I'm supposed to be really careful and make sure all the metal is covered, or if it's ok to leave that tip of metal exposed and just paint over it?

Prima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Tileguy

Corner Bead Question

If you use the metal (or plastic) bead (of the corner bead) for a straightedge to drag your knife on then the bead won't be covered. That's fine.

Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:06 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Corner Bead Question

Why do I feel that was a trolling setup?
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 07:08 PM   #4
Tileguy

Corner Bead Question

I gotta say...
Just when I think I have heard them all, something jumps up and surprises me.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:40 PM   #5

Corner Bead Question

No not a trolling setup, sorry for the dumb question.

Thank you for answering.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:48 PM   #6
Tileguy

Corner Bead Question

If you don't know the answer then the question isn't dumb.

Corner bead is one of those things that there is really only one way to finish it. Even stretching my imagination I can't conceive of any other way to finish it successfully. I have never heard of anyone trying to "build" compound thickness on a corner bead (corner) and the first question that comes to my mind is : WHY? Why would you want to? In attempting to answer my own question I can only think of one answer and that would be so the corner would hold paint. I've never seen a corner bead that wouldn't hold paint so I guess I struggle with the original question. But, that certainly doesn't make it a dumb question.

Like I said: "Just when I think I've heard it all...."
Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #7

Corner Bead Question

In answer your question, yes it's because I didn't know that the corner bead would hold paint. I assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that metal paint would be needed to paint over metal and that regular interior paint (Or primer actually) would just not stick to it.

And you've heard it here first, I have "built" joint compound over the corner bead, it is a pain in the butt (hence the question), but the use of patience and an outside corner taping knife makes it possible.

So I thank you again for answering my question, and saving me a great deal of time, but just for future reference when asking a question and getting accused of trolling and "Just when I think I've heard it all...." it tends to make folks feel dumb, and doesn't make for a pleasant experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Prima For This Useful Post:
wilsonstark (10-04-2011)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Tileguy

Corner Bead Question

Well GOOD!!! Another satisfied customer.

Now that your sensitivity has been bruised and your feelings have been hurt allow me to point out that YOU are the one that opened this thread with the words: "Hope this isn't tooo dumb of a question,"

Would you rather we would have replied with:
Ha ha ha ha ARE YA KIDDIN ME? That's a dumb question!!!

Would that have made you feel more at home?
Old 10-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #9

Corner Bead Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima View Post
In answer your question, yes it's because I didn't know that the corner bead would hold paint. I assumed (wrongly as it turns out) that metal paint would be needed to paint over metal and that regular interior paint (Or primer actually) would just not stick to it.

And you've heard it here first, I have "built" joint compound over the corner bead, it is a pain in the butt (hence the question), but the use of patience and an outside corner taping knife makes it possible.

So I thank you again for answering my question, and saving me a great deal of time, but just for future reference when asking a question and getting accused of trolling and "Just when I think I've heard it all...." it tends to make folks feel dumb, and doesn't make for a pleasant experience.
I would have had the same question within the first year of owning my house, but I was too chicken to touch the drywall at all. Good for you to be willing to ask the dumb questions. That, combined with using the search functions to look for old articles, can be really helpful.
wilsonstark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #10
43 years in construction

Corner Bead Question

Quote:

There are no dumb questions, only dumb responses. You received some dumb responses.
Arkitexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:26 PM   #11

Corner Bead Question

Quote:
Hope this isn't tooo dumb of a question, I tried searching for this, but couldn't find a clear answer.

When replacing or installing new conerbead, and putting joint compound on it, do I cover the whole bead, the actual corner and all?

What generally happens to me is I use the knife to put on the mud and when trying to feather it out I scrape away the stuff from the actual very tip of the corner, so that if I left it that way there would be a tiny exposed amount of metal running down the corner.

Is that ok? I've been trying to cover it and it seems difficult, as I seem to get it covered ok, but then when I sand to make flat I'll many times accidentally sand enough to expose the metal again, and have to go through applying compound over the exposed part and waiting for it to dry again.

So I'm curious if I'm supposed to be really careful and make sure all the metal is covered, or if it's ok to leave that tip of metal exposed and just paint over it?

take a look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfHVS...869F429F057C4F
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #12
Drywall contractor

Corner Bead Question

If you build up the mud to actually cover the "corner" of the bead, it will likely "chip" off the first time anything bumps it. Pros take the mud off of the actual corner when sanding for that very reason. The metal bead IS a "paintable" surface....

Tags
cornerbead, joint compound