Corner Bead? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Corner Bead?

I am drywalling around a window and the bottom half is rusted. Do I have to replace the entire strip or can I cut it half way? Also doing a wall with a corner. One side is untouched the other side is being replaced. Do I need remove that strip as well or can I just leave it in place? Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Corner Bead?-img00167-20120519-1844.jpg  

Advertisement

jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 610

Corner Bead?

There has to be something very bad going on around a window to have that rust up like. A major leak or extreamly high moisture in the room.
I first would figure out why it failed.
It's not going to really not take much longer to replace the whole piece and do it right.
Just tap on it to break up the old mud and pry it off with a flat bar.

Advertisement

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

Corner Bead?

It is an older house (1978). I think along the way the kitchen sink area had some water leaks along the way. Once I took the sink out the drywall just crumbled.

So, just pull the entire strip?
jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 610

Corner Bead?

You picture is so dark it's hard to tell just how bad the wall is.
If it's as bad as you suggest you would be better off to remove the corner, replace the drywall and reinstall a new corner.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 254

Corner Bead?

i now only use plastic beads near wet areas , bathroom showers etc. youd be suprised how easily rust starts on metal beads , even the drywall mud itself will start rusting a bead . thats why its not a bad idea to put a very light coat of setting mud on first coat. ive torn off beads that were only on for a few days and rust was already on them. those paper tape on beads are even worse cause wet mud is under them and on top of them. usually not a long term major problem though .

also on an older home like that they didnt alway use the best insulation around doors and windows so you could be getting some of that from the outside drafts , freezing temps etc.

Last edited by oldrivers; 05-20-2012 at 10:57 PM.
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote