Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #1

Share |

Conventional sheetrock or blue board veneer?

Greetings: I am in the process of a complete home remodel with an addition. The existing portions were gutted to the studs. It is now time for wallboard and have been in touch with several contractors for advise and pricing. I have narrowed it down to a couple of contractors. One strictly hangs conventional drywall and finishes it off with a tuff-hide primer after taping. The other hangs blue board with a plaster veneer. Any input would be appreciated as to what direction to travel here. Pricing by both is comparable. Thanks.

Rustygaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
retired union carpenter

Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

I've never used it, but sounds good. seems to be like larger sheets of the old plaster rock lath?

http://www.hometime.com/Howto/projec...ent/base_4.htm

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #3

The blueboard gypsum sheets are the same core and size as conventioinal sheetrock. The only difference I believe is the working side paper surface. It is supposed to be very porous to accept and adhere the plaster veneer skim coat.
I still haven't decided which system to go with yet. For roughly the same price, I can get a sheetrock job (hung, taped w/3 coats + USG Tough-Hide primer) vs. a blueboard plaster veneer job. I did look at one of the plaster contractors job sites. The plaster finish is real smooth. Feels like an eggshell coating over the rock.
On the other hand, I would still have to prime coat the plaster where if i went with the sheetrock contractor, the priming is done. I am looking to avoid priming and/or painting the ceilings if I do not have to.
Rustygaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustygaff View Post
Greetings: I am in the process of a complete home remodel with an addition. The existing portions were gutted to the studs. It is now time for wallboard and have been in touch with several contractors for advise and pricing. I have narrowed it down to a couple of contractors. One strictly hangs conventional drywall and finishes it off with a tuff-hide primer after taping. The other hangs blue board with a plaster veneer. Any input would be appreciated as to what direction to travel here. Pricing by both is comparable. Thanks.

It depends. if you are in NE then I would suggest the veneer plaster, in other parts of the country, regular drywall and taping is what is "normal".
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote