Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-18-2011, 07:41 AM   #1

Share |

Compound over exposed cardboard/gypsum interior?

We are remodeling our new house's kitchen. It had a plastic sheet "backsplash" between the wall and base cabinets. I ripped most of it out, but the glue is still on the drywall, so I used a dremel multi max tool with the flexible scraper to scrape off the glue. Only problem is, it's taking thepaper layer off also, and exposing the cardboard and sometimes taking the cardboard off also, exposing the gypsum core.

Is it ok to just do a layer of joint compound over it? We are planning on doing a tile back splash in the future.

Thanks for any advice!

Here's some pics:

Last edited by 6fthook; 06-18-2011 at 07:50 AM.
6fthook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:17 AM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

I guess you could clean up the surface as best you can and trim the edges where the paper got tugged. Then you can try to get in the space with a wide drywall knife and lay down and finish and layer of mud to get you by (primed and painted for now I presume?) until you do your renovation.

I think you will find it hard to get a nice, flat surface on the backsplash with only the clearance you have between the countertop and cabinet bottom. I also think you will find it will take you as long or longer to try and repair this situation is it will to just pull the old backing out and cutting and fitting a new piece.

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 12:28 PM   #3
Tileguy

Yow, you have pretty-well gone way too far with your scraping. Your best-bet is to remove that damaged wallboard and replace it. Replacing it isn't a very big deal and you will be time and money ahead.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:42 PM   #4

you could take some kills and paint it then when it dries good scrape it again to get the frizies off , then you can do a tight skim coat with easy sand durabond , then tape the real deep goughes next to the box , then put another tight coat of easy sand ontop of that , then a tight coat of topping or two . just use a knife or trowel put it on thin coats. that would be less of a build up than having seams to cover with new drywall . this way you only have to tape the goughes 4 inches by 12 about , versus having to tape the edges if you were you replaced the whole piece . you dont have to tape where the paper ripped off the brown areas .

Last edited by oldrivers; 06-18-2011 at 07:56 PM.
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:57 PM   #5

Thanks for all the advice!

My plan is to replace the drywall, fresh new start I guess.

Is there anything I should be aware of when I rip out drywall on an exterior wall, around a window, or is it pretty much the same as interior walls? If there is no insulation or if the insulation is in bad shape, I can just add some insulation batts?

Also, if I plan on doing a tile backsplash, the drywall/taping/joint compound doesn't have to be 100% flat and even, correct? I just mean a tiny tiny bit uneven around the joints. I can just spread a little more thinset for the tile right?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
Tileguy

Quote:
Also, if I plan on doing a tile backsplash, the drywall/taping/joint compound doesn't have to be 100% flat and even, correct? I just mean a tiny tiny bit uneven around the joints. I can just spread a little more thinset for the tile right?
Ah-h-h-h no, I wouldn't. The thinset may or may not make up for a bulge in the joint compound. In fact using thinset over joint compound isn't the best idea. They are not compatible and the thinset won't want to bond that well to the joint compound.

You could just install the seam tape and then fill the seam-joints with the thinset as you install the tile. No humps that way.

You will use a notched trowel to apply the thinset and heaping thinset isn't advisable. Let the trowel do what it is suppose to do and that is gauge the thickness of the thinset for you.
Willie T (06-23-2011)
Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM   #7

So use thinset instead of joint compound like I would normally do. Is it just not as good, or will it fail if I thinset/tile over joint compound? I already replaced drywall and used joint compound on the other wall in the kitchen
Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 PM   #8

The wall next to the one shown in the picture has 2 sheets plus two patches, all mudded with drywall compound. MOST of this surface will be tiled with a ceramic tile backplash when the cabinets and countertops come in and are installed.

I will be working on the house the next 2 days.

1. Should I tear out this drywall and hang new drywall?

2. Should I tape with fibatape and mud the joints with thinset? If so, is it ok to use pre-mixed?

3. Or should I just leave the joints without any mud, since it will be covered by cabinets or be tiled?

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:37 AM   #9
Too Short? Cut it Again!

New drywall and yes, you should tape the joints. I would use regular paper tape and pre-mixed compound if you want. Pre-mixed is just going to take longer to dry. Depends on what you hope to finish for sure I guess.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:55 AM   #10

You mean use pre-mixed thinset? Or drywall compound? The reason I want to rip out the drywall I already hung is because people were saying and also the research I've done now says that tiling/thin-set over drywall compound is not good.

The reason I was going to go with fibatape i because I am not an expert, and the fibatape is significantly easier for me to do than the traditional non sticky tape.

Thanks!
Old 06-23-2011, 07:36 PM   #11
Tileguy

This beginning to get out of hand.

You cannot use paper tape under thinset. The only tape recommended for under thinset and tile projects is the alkali-resistant mesh tape, it has sticky on one side. It doesn't require anyone to be an expert.

The premixed thinset has proven to be problematic in wet areas, in dry area applications I suppose it would work. I wouldn't touch the stuff or use it in either area myself.

Thinset DOES NOT like gypsum joint compound.

Thinset DOES NOT like gypsum joint compound. (Did I say that already?)

The cabinets don't care if there is tape behind them or not but I think the Fire Marshal does care.

I'll tell ya what....
Go buy some liquid waterproofing and use it over the already installed joint compound. Liquid waterproofing doesn't like gypsum joint compound either but in a dry area it should stay put.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:58 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
This beginning to get out of hand.

You cannot use paper tape under thinset. The only tape recommended for under thinset and tile projects is the alkali-resistant mesh tape, it has sticky on one side. It doesn't require anyone to be an expert.

The premixed thinset has proven to be problematic in wet areas, in dry area applications I suppose it would work. I wouldn't touch the stuff or use it in either area myself.

Thinset DOES NOT like gypsum joint compound.

Thinset DOES NOT like gypsum joint compound. (Did I say that already?)

The cabinets don't care if there is tape behind them or not but I think the Fire Marshal does care.

I'll tell ya what....
Go buy some liquid waterproofing and use it over the already installed joint compound. Liquid waterproofing doesn't like gypsum joint compound either but in a dry area it should stay put.

Thanks!

So to be 100% clear, it's ok to do:

Rip down existing drywall with all the joint compound in the areas to be tiled. Put new drywall up. Use alkali resistant mesh tape designed for cement board (fibatape makes it) to tape the joints. Use thinset for the joints (pre-mixed not good in wet areas). Or can I just tape the joints only with no mudding over it?

OR

Cover the area to be tiled with liquid waterproofing, then tile over as normal?
Old 06-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Tileguy

I am now confused beyond repair.

Just use liquid waterproofing over everthing everywhere.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:40 PM   #14

I just finished putting up new drywall, here it is:

(I finished the piece underneath the window today)

I just want to be sure:

Since I am doing a tile backsplash, I should use alkali resistive mesh tape to tape the joints and then use thin-set for the joints?

If so, should I do this for all the joints even under where the cabinets will be going? Or use drywall compound for those areas?

What kind of of thin-set for the joints, modified or un-modified? How about when I do the tile backsplash?

Thanks!

Last edited by 6fthook; 07-07-2011 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #15

bump.