Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Completed electrical outlets

So. What is the easiest way to cut out drywall for completed electrical outlets, not just boxes?

The way I was taught was lipstick around the box, press the drywall, then cut out the stamp.

However, due to the way the town wanted the electrical done, the outlets and lighting is finished. To make matters worse, they want the drywall snug around the box, with the two top and bottom loops of the outlet/switch AGAINST the finished drywall.

-- Joe

anesthes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:50 PM   #2
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

the only way I know to do that is to use Madison bars and old work boxes. if is new construction? not possible?

coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
the only way I know to do that is to use Madison bars and old work boxes. if is new construction? not possible?
New construction. The electrical inspector required the outlets be wired and tested prior to drywall, which makes drywall a bit harder.

I wonder if I could get a spacer, screw it to each outlet and use that to put the 'stamp' on the back of the drywall (with lipstick)?

-- Joe
Old 02-01-2012, 04:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 522

I use a Dremel (or Roto Zip). There is a "drywall bit" that I puncture into the middle of the box, run it to the edge, and then trace the outside of the box. Snug fit that a plate will cover.

http://www.drywallschool.com/router.htm

B

Last edited by Beepster; 02-01-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Beepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepster View Post
I use a Dremel (or Roto Zip). There is a "drywall bit" that I puncture into the middle of the box, run it to the edge, and then trace the outside of the box. Snug fit that a plate will cover.

http://www.drywallschool.com/router.htm

B
That works too, but my boxes have outlets in them so I can't just puncture the middle with my multimax.

-- Joe
Old 02-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
retired union carpenter

Rewards Points: 250
Send a message via Yahoo to coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by anesthesia View Post
New construction. The electrical inspector required the outlets be wired and tested prior to drywall, which makes drywall a bit harder.

I wonder if I could get a spacer, screw it to each outlet and use that to put the 'stamp' on the back of the drywall (with lipstick)?

-- Joe
Joe, you can do that on one side of wall, simply unscrew the flanges off then put back after sheet is hung. you wont have that access on other side of wall.
maybe the inspector will accept the ends of recepticals on outside finish? just remove receptical, install drywall, and repace recepticals. keep cuts tight

I've never heard of this requirement!

Last edited by coupe; 02-01-2012 at 06:11 PM. Reason: add comment
coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:46 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

I had a similar question about the finished receptacles being inset a little bit and flanges not being able to sit on top of the drywall. I posted this in the electrical forum and the folks there said the flanges are designed to snap off when needed and would not protrude above/below the workbox. I was also told these tabs can be used as spacers if you need to extend the outlet past the work box a little bit. Seems like requiring them to sit on top of the drywall goes against the design of the product?

What i did was break off the tabs that way i could put the drywall over the outlets, then cut it out with drywall in place. With no protruding flanges, the drywall once cut out slipped right over the work box.

I used a jig by blindmark that worked well for finding and marking boxes.

http://www.blindmark.com/pages/multi_mark_kit.htm

This works best with empty work boxes which you dont have, so you would also need the accessory for old work

http://www.blindmark.com/pages/plug_mark_target.htm

The old work accessory has thinner magnets and i had a little more play but still worked well. I use an oscillating tool to cut, i had more control than the rotozip but it works too.

I tried plunging the rotozip and running it around the box and it did work even though i had outlets installed. Just make sure you turn off the power and make sure the wires are tucked in and your depth is not so deep as to damage wires. For me, a noob, the rotozip is great when i do it right but when i made a mistake it went bad and my cuts were awful. I only used it when i had to

A last option is unscrew the outlets, measure and mark location of boxes and cut before you hang. Then pull the outlet through the hole, screw in drywall then push outlet back into box and screw in place. This is more time consuming. Make sure to turn off the power, its easy to grab a terminal trying to fish it through the hole.

Good luck.

toobhed is offline   Reply With Quote