Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2011, 02:49 PM   #1

Share |

cinderblock, rock house..

We are remodeling our bathrooms at the moment but i have a few questions about re-running the wires in one. We planned on adding 1x2's on our cinderblock exterior walls of our house to put in drywall and allow for some insulation and change some wireing around. Is there a better way of doing this? that bathroom gets so hot in the summer and so cold in the winter.

Also that bathroom has the glass blocks for windows(2blocks wide on both sides of mirror) with little vents above them, we hate them and want to cover them up till we can fix the outside of the house and put in rock where they are. The house is over 60 years old and has only 2 prong outlets. The light above the bathroom mirror is the only light and only plug in the room. Being a woman and needing to curl, blowdry my hair is not very fun with a step stool or extension cord. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

ebaretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:51 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

The best bet would be to frame 2"x4" walls so you can add batt insulation and you have plenty of room for boxes, wiring, etc. That is of course IF you can spare that much room and still work in whatever type of tub and/or shower you are planning on. If you end up using the furring strips, you can use 3/4" foam board in between to give at least a bit more R value....

Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 AM   #3

yeah the particular bathroom i'm speaking of barely has enough room for a toilet in it...heh.. as the layout was before the cabinet that sat in front of the toilet barely allowed for you to open the cabinet door all the way..
ebaretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
STAFF

The bad part is if you don't insulate the outside of the block walls everything you put inside will rot from the condensation. There will be mold where it is warm, dark and damp, which is what it will be behind anything you put on the inside without first insulating the outside.

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote