Checking The Quality Of Drywall Work - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-28-2012, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Checking the quality of drywall work

Ahh the all important question: how do I know if I've hired a pro or a schmuck??!!

As the drywall is being installed (prior to tape/mud), what should I be looking for to evaluate the quality of workmanship? More specifically, what things should I look for that would say I've hired the schmuck?

Advertisement

smitty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

That's a tough question----are the using long full sheets? Are they running the sheets over doors and windows and then cutting the openings? (This avoids seams and tape in the corners of the openings.

Where did you find these hangers and tapers?

Are they quick and efficient?

Seeing the past work is the best indicator of future work----If you got these guys without checking up---you will just have to wait and see---

Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 512

i always think that people will judge me and my work by the vehicle and the condition and also my condition. if the guy pulls into your driveway with an old beat up dirty truck, his vehicle is not organized with tools,dust,etc. falling out. also the same goes for the guy in the vehicle. is he clean cut or a sloppy hairy bushman with dirty clothes with holes in them? These are typically your first signs to take caution but there are always the exceptions. the same goes for his work and work area. is there tools everywhere? garbage all over the floor? Does his work look like clean work? does it look messy or does it look like its reasonably straight and professional looking? i find someone who takes pride in his work typically is a clean neat person that tries to act professional and if something doesn't turn out exactly right or the way you like it they'll suck up their pride and happily fix it to the best of their ability.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
i always think that people will judge me and my work by the vehicle and the condition and also my condition. if the guy pulls into your driveway with an old beat up dirty truck, his vehicle is not organized with tools,dust,etc. falling out. also the same goes for the guy in the vehicle. is he clean cut or a sloppy hairy bushman with dirty clothes with holes in them? These are typically your first signs to take caution but there are always the exceptions. the same goes for his work and work area. is there tools everywhere? garbage all over the floor? Does his work look like clean work? does it look messy or does it look like its reasonably straight and professional looking? i find someone who takes pride in his work typically is a clean neat person that tries to act professional and if something doesn't turn out exactly right or the way you like it they'll suck up their pride and happily fix it to the best of their ability.
you just described me LOL i drive a piece of chit vehilce look like a caveman .

i want my work and only my work to be judged . if they dont like the look of my vehicle or me thats ok . LOL .
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #5

you are probably being judged when you pull in and knock on the door before you even pick up a tool. and before i get shot down theres nothing wrong with an old truck as long as its kept clean and presentable.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 232

Is the hanger doing the taping?Or do you have another contractor for the taping?

I would say the most important things are dont use nails except on corner beads.And dont have any joints on the corner of any opening such as door window etc.

Last edited by scottktmrider; 12-29-2012 at 12:37 AM.
scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,052

http://bestdrywall.com/files/ReduceCallbacks.pdf

http://books.google.com/books?id=IS-...0paper&f=false

http://www.finehomebuilding.com/PDF/Free/021174058.pdf

http://www.usg.com/documents/constru...k/chapter5.pdf

http://www.usg.com/rc/installation-a...de-en-J371.pdf

http://www.lafargenorthamerica.com/G...%20English.pdf

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/resour...evisiting.aspx

I've got more if you need them but that should keep you reading over the weekend...

Gary
forcedreno2012 (12-29-2012)
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
Renovating My Land Yacht

Rewards Points: 552

Dammit GBR I was going to go to bed before the sun came up for a change and I have spent the last hour sucked into your bedtime reading lol

Thanks for the links.
forcedreno2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,686

Quote:
I think this is a very over looked part of a business presentation. As is communication. I don't know how to do the double quote but olrivers in an ideal world you may be right. But it's hard to get people who have already judged you to look at your work. If you don't have enough pride to clean up your equipment and yourself, why would I feel you would take any pride in your work.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
automated tool pro

Rewards Points: 150

dude , I'd kick you right out the door if you pulled up all spotless and perfect....thanks for the laugh though!
Quote:
ask to see their very last job.
if they are a quality crew their last job should be fairly recent. Good finishers are still busy even in the financial crisis.

take a small drywall knife and press it into a few angles and pull it down. If the screws are still hanging out you'll know if they are bogus.
drywallfinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:46 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 254

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I think this is a very over looked part of a business presentation. As is communication. I don't know how to do the double quote but olrivers in an ideal world you may be right. But it's hard to get people who have already judged you to look at your work. If you don't have enough pride to clean up your equipment and yourself, why would I feel you would take any pride in your work.

yeah i know people have ways of looking at things , the last person i worked with spent 30,000 on a new truck custom paint etc and it gets banged up in parking lots , another guy i know got his truck all repainted and a lady backied into it with a bike carrier , now my piece of **** truck i dont care go ahead and bang into it , almost every newer work vehicle i see is dented up , LOL no one hits my piece of crap for some reason , ive done the new vehicle thing and its a waste of time and money . never again will i use a nice vehicle for work .
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #12
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,280

Interesting debate---My truck is a tool like all tools---It works hard and serves it's purpose.

Strong and useful for me--pretty is not a big deal in my world----
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 75

quality drywall work = tight joints, full sheets hung, screws sunk in properly, its not hard to spot poorly hung and cut drywall, just watch how a crew or individual hangs, ragged cuts, slow cutting, poorly cut boxes, receptacles, etc,
too much scrap and waste, I could spot a smuck in 2 minutes and send them on their way, with the downturn of the economy if a guy has hung a piece of drywall, all of a sudden he thinks he's a professional, handymen is what they are referred to here in the south, after seeing one hang a piece of drywall....beware!
newfie49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
automated tool pro

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie49 View Post
quality drywall work = tight joints, full sheets hung, screws sunk in properly, its not hard to spot poorly hung and cut drywall, just watch how a crew or individual hangs, ragged cuts, slow cutting, poorly cut boxes, receptacles, etc,
too much scrap and waste, I could spot a smuck in 2 minutes and send them on their way, with the downturn of the economy if a guy has hung a piece of drywall, all of a sudden he thinks he's a professional, handymen is what they are referred to here in the south, after seeing one hang a piece of drywall....beware!
great point!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #15

i said before your truck doesnt have to be new. im saying dont show up right after you went mud bogging or something. i banged into a guard rail a month ago and the back corner of my new van is smashed up a bit at the back fender but its still clean and organized and i wont be embarrassed to back it up and open the back doors. to me its like going to a job interview going to every new job. its all about presentation.
drywall finisher you'd kick me out because im clean and know what i'm doing and dont get covered head to toe in mud? i may look like bit of a sqaure but a first presentation is everything.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to princelake For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (12-31-2012)