DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   cementboard (

Marios 09-17-2011 09:04 AM

I am redoing my shower and I am going to put up cement board and I saw on HGTV that you seal the seams with a mesh tape and a sealant called red guard.
Tried to look for at it at Home Depot , they had no idea.
Can anybody help me with this , what sealant do I buy if I cannot find Red Guard ?



Bud Cline 09-17-2011 11:05 AM

The seams get an alkali resistant seam tape applied and then the seams are filled with thinset mortar at the time the same thinset mortar is being used to install the tile.

RedGard is a liquid waterproofing, not necessarily a seam-sealer. It would do no good what-so-ever to use any seam sealer on cement board. Cement boards can wick water everywhere not just at the seams.

Home Depot Diss-Count Stores due however sell RedGard. It is in the tile department.:)

HGTV Rides Again. :wheelchair:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:49 PM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1