Cement Board Around Fireplace Opening? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-31-2013, 01:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cement board around fireplace opening?

Hello Everyone,

My name is Matt. This is my first post so I apologize if this is in the wrong place. If so, Mods please feel free to move this to the appropriate forum.

We moved into our first home a few days ago. My wife loved the home but wanted some things done right away and we have begun demoing the main area of the house. Old, room-width fireplace and outdated built-ins have been removed. Walls have come down, etc.

Here is a pic of the damage at the moment:

This is the design my wife is using as inspiration for the room:

This is the mantle we wish to use:

It is cast-stone material. Manufacturer's installation instructions say to install directly over drywall around fireplace opening.

I know that the mantle itself is fire resistant being that it is stone. Is it ok to bring regular drywall up to the edge of the fireplace opening being that the mantle will be installed over the drywall? Should I use 12 inches of cement board around the opening instead? And how should I secure either to the brick surrounding the opening?

The brick is set back into the wall in a way that drywall could run level from the surrounding wall all the way to the fireplace opening.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Matt

Advertisement

MedicMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:03 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

That mantle might over power the room---how deep is it from the face of the legs to the back side?

The back of the unit must touch the drywall in the room----so therefore the new brick must be flush with the wall board in the room??

A few more details needed---Mike-----

Advertisement

Old 03-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 732

Did you have a sweep look this fireplace over before doing all this?
An old one like that may very well need a liner.
You do know an open fireplace like that without an insert will tend to suck the heat out of the other rooms for make up air and will give out very little heat, right?
Plus all the soot and dirt brought in.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
That mantle might over power the room---how deep is it from the face of the legs to the back side?

The back of the unit must touch the drywall in the room----so therefore the new brick must be flush with the wall board in the room??

The front face of the brick is already set back enough so that drywall will evenly run from the wall across the face of the brick terminating at the fireplace opening (front of brick is level with front of studs). We will either use drywall or cement board to finish the wall leaving no brick exposed prior to installation of the mantle. I hope that make sense.

A few more details needed---Mike-----
The mantle legs are 11" deep and the unit 15" deep at the deepest point of the top of the mantle itself.

The room is 24 feet deep from the wall the mantle will be on to the back of the room. The place where you see the wall on the left come toward the center of the room is where there were some old built-in cabinets. We will be installing a built-in bench with storage there. Much the same as the picture provided.

The manufacturer's installation instruction say to secure the unit directly to the drywall. There is a space in the back of the top mantle where a 2x4 fits. The 2x4 is secured to studs through the drywall and the mantle sits over that. Of course, it is also suggested that the top and legs be additionally secured to the studs using a metal strapping.

I hope I was clear. If you have any other questions or need further clarification, please ask. I will try my best to answer.

Last edited by MedicMatt; 03-31-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Did you have a sweep look this fireplace over before doing all this?
An old one like that may very well need a liner.
You do know an open fireplace like that without an insert will tend to suck the heat out of the other rooms for make up air and will give out very little heat, right?
Plus all the soot and dirt brought in.
The chimney was cleaned. It was updated 10 years ago per the previous owner (original owner). It is plumbed with gas and honestly, we will likely almost never use it, keeping the flue closed thus sealing it (mostly) from outside air.

It never really gets cold enough here where we would rely on the fire place for any significant heating of our home.

This is my first home and I have never done most of this kind of work before. (My only building experience was just out of high school when helped a contractor friend with framing. I also operated a skip loader doing house pads and finish grades for a short time before Medic school.

Any advice is appreciated but please be patient with me.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
DIY staff

Just for safety sake--of installing the brick and as a fire stop--Id use drywall outside of the mantle and cement board inside it----hide the transition with the mantle----
Old 03-31-2013, 02:45 PM   #7

Quote:
Just for safety sake--of installing the brick and as a fire stop--Id use drywall outside of the mantle and cement board inside it----hide the transition with the mantle----
Thanks. That is what I was thinking. Do you (or does anyone else) have any suggestions on securing cement board to the brick? The surface of the brick is uneven and I do not want to add any depth by adding furring.

Thanks
Old 04-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
DIY staff

Thinset and Tapcon Screws------

You may need to chisel off some of the highest bricks----
Old 04-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Thinset and Tapcon Screws------

You may need to chisel off some of the highest bricks----
Thanks, I'll try that. I appreciate the advice.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to MedicMatt For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (04-01-2013)