Ceiling Woes. - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-11-2011, 01:19 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Ceiling woes.

I was tearing down a soffit that had no realistic reason for being above my cabinets in my kitchen. It was only six inches deep and for the life of me, I could NOT figure what it could possibly be there for.

It was a sheet of luan, painted to match and crown moulding matching the rest of the kitchen was framing the top.

Much to my despair, I found the first picture. Some jerk had cut a HOLE into the attic of the addition, apparently to vent the range hood, and apparently changed their mind. Instead of fixing the problem, I have had a HOLE in my wall behind a thin sheet of luan for the 10 YEARS I HAVE OWNED my home!!!

There is a sixteen inch piece of rigid ductwork sticking out of it, and a pneumonia hole bringing in air and whatever critters may decide to wander in from my attic!!!

There is a good side to this, though. I am re-doing my kitchen and re-finishing my cabinets, which leads me to my question. The drywall where the makeshift soffit was, is not even with the drywall behind it on the ceiling. Is my only recourse to mud, tape and sand, feathering it out as best possible since it can't really be seen unless you're looking for it??

I really don't want to tear out the ceiling and replace all the drywall. Please help me!! Also, why do people do these kinds of things to unsuspecting customers? Where's the kharma? GEESH!
I forgot to mention that my "antique" range hood needs to be vented anyway, so all is not lost. I just need to make the ceiling not be an eyesore. Thanks in advance to all of those diyers and pros out there reading this!!
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling woes.-hole-wall1.jpg   Ceiling woes.-holeclosed1.jpg   Ceiling woes.-drywall-dilemma.jpg   Ceiling woes.-drywall-dilemma2.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by teepee105; 12-11-2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: additional information
teepee105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

Ceiling woes.

I added a few spaces to your text----

I would replace the entire ceiling drywall---there is no way to make that textured surface look good.

Overlaying new drywall on top of the old might be an option.

As to the crumby work by the old owner? Some people lack common sense and logic--along with skills-

---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 12-11-2011, 10:57 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 268

Ceiling woes.

From the pictures, it looks like you may have to do what ol' mike suggests. If you want a good looking job when you are done, don't try to patch it. You will probably not be happy if this the only thing you do not do right. Regarding why this happened in the first place, it really is a very small thing compared with what I have found in the past. Also not as unsafe as MOST of the things I have found buried on remodel jobs. Things like this are one of the reasons remodeling is so hard to estimate.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote