Ceiling Thickness - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

Ceiling thickness

I have 24" joists and have always heard you have to use 5/8 drywall on the ceiling but everything I read says to use 1/2 inch. So what's the truth? I would rather just use 1/2 for everything than deal with 5/8 just for the ceiling.

Advertisement

msaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 01:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Ceiling thickness

I would think if you have 24'' you should probably go 5/8. You may be fine with 1/2 with 16'' centres however I would worry about sag. Out of practice I usually use 5/8 for ceilings in most cases.

Another thing to keep in mind is local codes-around here if you have another dwelling unit above you, you have to use 5/8 as a fire seperation. You should look into this (as well as fire blocking you may require) and make sure you are good and legal.

Advertisement

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,010

Ceiling thickness

Good points above. The drywall manufacturer recommends 1/2" on ceiling (perpendicular app. only) without a hand/machine water-based texture applied, or go to 5/8"; Table #1. Table #4 states 1/2" will only support 1.6# insulation at 24" o.c. without sag, don't use cellulose over that weight limit;http://www.energyguide.com/library/E...SubjectID=8375

http://gypsum.org/pdf/GA-216-2010.html

Gary
Old 09-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Ceiling thickness

You can run furring strips perpendicular to the joists at 16" OC if you would rather use 1/2"
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #5

Ceiling thickness

I already built the interior walls would that be an issue with installing furing strips? Does it make a difference if I use light weight drywall? I am planning on getting lightweight for the 1/2 inch stuff anyway. That's all they sell at the home improvement places now :-)
Old 09-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Ceiling thickness

When you say you have already built the interior walls, I assume you are not saying that they are already sheet rocked, but framed up...Regardless, it shouldn't matter. you will lose about 3/4" of ceiling height, but gain a much better space to work with. A Google search on furring out a ceiling will give you a bunch of information to work with.
1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 04:31 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,038

Ceiling thickness

The new "lightweight" gypsum panels by USG (and others I'm sure) are claimed to be suitable for 24" centers WITH texture and "sag resistant". I have used the USG product personally with no problems. Check the mfgr.'s website for the products available in your area (USG, CertainTeed, Georgia-Pacific, etc.). USG states their "ultra light" panels "can be used on ceilings with 24" o.c. framing spacing when water based texture is applied". As stated above, check local codes also in case there is a fire code issue....
Old 09-11-2011, 05:10 PM   #8

Ceiling thickness

Thanks for that, BJ. Need to up-date my intel. OP, be sure to read the application instructions- only perpendicular to framing members...... and it is same insulation carrying abilities of 5/8" regular, 2.2# per sq.ft.

Gary
Old 09-11-2011, 05:23 PM   #9
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,038

Ceiling thickness

Hey Gary, you're the "go to" man for information. I love the new lightweight rock and am glad it's actually "better" than the old regular board. I hear the 5/8" firecode is out, but have yet to see it at the big box stores. That will be HUGE for us old guys with bad backs, shoulders, etc...
Old 09-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #10

Ceiling thickness

So I the celing joists are the collar ties which are 2x8. I am planning on putting R19 or R21 in between the joists and some more fiberglass on top perpendicular to the joists.

So will the 1/2 inch light weight be ok? I keep seeing it should be but talking to people they say I should use 5/8. I don't know if it's just them giving me old information or if the 1/2 lightweight really can't handle it.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #11

Ceiling thickness

It has a inner fibers for strength, stronger than 5/8" regular. It will be fine; http://www.americangypsum.com/data/p...alsheet541.pdf Also handles 2.2lbs. of insulation, same as 5/8". Hah, now I'm repeating myself...... They say as you get older the first thing to go is your memory, I can't remember the rest.....
Must have been the lite-roc that has the fibers..... I will stop now, two for two.....

Gary

Advertisement