Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling seams

The previous homeowner nailed 3 inch wide floor boards to the ceiling in the entire house. I took the boards down from the bathroom ceiling. The boards are nailed at every joist. So, I had to do repairs every 16 inches. I managed to do a great job in the bathroom and I only have a few spots in my seams/repairs that are slightly noticeable.

Having achieved the task in the bathroom, I tried to do the same job in the much larger kitchen. Unfortunately, I just primed the ceiling and it looks like crap. Most of the 'seams' created to repair the nail holes are visible to varying degrees. After priming, I checked the seams with a 12inch knife and they are humped...I sanded with a sanding sponge and was constantly checking the seams with my hand and i thought they were flat but obviously not. Now, given that seams are only 16 apart, what can I do? I know the seams need to be fanned out wider, but since they are not that far apart will it be worth the effort? I feel like I did the same thing in the kitchen as the bathroom but the result in the kitchen is horrible.

The choices I made were based on not having a helper to hang new boards, the only drywaller within 2 hours is very busy but also not the most reliable, I was confident from doing a good job in the bathroom.

And, I just measured a couple of the visible seams and they are approximately 6.5-7inches wide so pretty narrow.

Last edited by wwkayaker; 02-16-2013 at 10:00 PM.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #2

Ceiling seams

It would be great if you could post a picture so we can wee what your seeing.
Most likly just not enough sanding and the seam was not covered out far enough.
6" is not wide enough, that just bearly wider then the tape.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:21 PM   #3

Ceiling seams

In the ceiling, there are, I think, 5 regular seams with tape. The rest of the seams don't have tape as I simply cut out the damaged drywall and filled with mud. Due to the amount of holes along each joist, I essentially ran mud along the entire length of each joist.
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling seams-image.jpg  
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote