Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-14-2012, 08:16 AM   #1

Share |

ceiling hook in a plaster ceiling

Hi,

My wife and I want to install a small decoration in our baby's nursery that hangs from the ceiling. It weights half a pound. I bought some ceiling hooks like this
but even smaller. I drilled a very small hole in the ceiling but as I was drilling, the area around the circumference of the drilled hole started to collapse a little which would have created a hole bigger than the one created by the drill if I had kept going with the process.

So then I tried a new hole 16 inches from the wall in hopes of finding a stud, but same problem.

I've done some research and I read that a butterfly anchor is best for this, but it seems a little too big just for this decoration. I'm afraid of creating an even much bigger whole by using a butterfly anchor.

Should I take the chance an buy a butterfly anchor ceiling hook installation kit or is there some kind of alternative?

thanks for any advice

uglijimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #2

Not a great idea to hang anything from a plaster ceiling, it can cause far more damage to the ceiling then just the hole.
But if you in insist on doing it anyway then a toggle bolt "should" work. The bigger the wings the better to spread out the load.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
Too Short? Cut it Again!

A butterfly bolt does seem like overkill for 1/2 pound object and if you use one you have to make sure it engages behind the lath.

You can keep trying to see if you can get a hook into a piece of lath.

Your best bet may be to use a masonry bit to drill the plaster. Fit the hole with a screw anchor of the correct size and than screw your hook, eye bolt or whatever in to that. The screw anchor will expand to grip the sides of the hole in the plaster.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #4

thanks guys for your input. it's just not worth it so I think we are going to scrap the idea.
uglijimus is offline   Reply With Quote