Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #1

Share |
Angry

Ceiling Hole - Pretty Big

Hi and thanks so much for your help/info!

I have a hole in my ceiling. This resulted in my daughters AC Unit leaking down through the wall and eventually part of the ceiling busting open. I have NO idea how to fix this, it's been this way for over a year. Of course friends come over and say they will fix it or tell me what to do but when I call to ask for more info/help they aren't there. This turns me to you, thank you!

I peeled back some of the ceiling when I thought "I" could fix this and I feel like if I continue to peel back more there won't be a ceiling left. I originally went and bought some spackle and tried to fix it myself by hoping it would stick onto the edges, create a thickness that I could eventually sand and paint, no such luck. I decided just to slap it all on the wood part of the ceiling because it was ugly. My problem is that i don't even know what kind of ceiling this is. I do know it isn't drywall. I have attached a picture of part of the ceiling flat and it's thickness along with a picture of the hole. I really, really want to fix this now because I'm getting ready to paint the living room. It has been to long and I'm tired of waiting for people to come through for me. Can you let me know what this is and any step by step process as to what I have to buy and do? Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
Ceiling Hole - Pretty Big-ceiling.jpg   Ceiling Hole - Pretty Big-ceiling-piece.jpg   Ceiling Hole - Pretty Big-ceiling-thickness.jpg  

tinalmc72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:04 AM   #2

Ceiling Hole - Pretty Big

Remove what is loose, fill it with JOINT COMPOUND not spackle using drywall knifes. Use a 6" knife to fill then when dry use a 12" knife for 2nd and 3rd coat feathering it out farther from the repair each coat.

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
garlicbreath (08-29-2014)