Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Drywall question

Just bought a house and were looking at fixing areas that need to be. One of the areas is the ceilings in the kitchen/dining/living room areas. The way it is now is the metal framing that hangs down alittle with the tiles that just drop into place.

Well they have some water damage to 95% or just general moisture discoloration so we were thinking of just tearing it down and putting drywall up instead since we have a downstairs bathroom that is being completly gutted and redone with drywall anyways so if I am going to be doing some we figured might as well do it the rest of the way ceiling wise.

My only concern is where the drywall ceiling will meet the walls (were not planning on the walls) but there some sort of paneling type it seems will there be any issue with the drywall seams? Would I just install the corner bead like normal and then mudd the paneling side smooth to blend it in then pain over it? I have no drywall experience but have been doing a massive amount of reading on it so any help would be appreciated. I think I get the majority of it in things like the bathroom but not sure how that works with the other areas where it would be just the ceiling.

Mstrenke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Ceiling Drywall question

A small moulding where the ceiling meets the wall is probably your best bet. Taping/finishing that joint is very difficult and will end up with a real eyesore.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #3

Ceiling Drywall question

That would be awesome much easier time wise! Open to any other suggestions though. Thanks for the input.
Old 05-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #4

Ceiling Drywall question

first i'd be figuring out as to why is water stained and discoloured you probaby have leaks. second there is probably a drop ceiling there for a reason. there is possibly duct, plumbing,etc so your going to have to put furring strips, build a false ceiling, or build bulk heads. and by the way i read your question you say you have paneling on the walls?!? i would get J bead for where the drywall butts up to the paneling and mud the j bead then chaulk between the drywall or you can put up a crown moulding or some cheap cove or quarter round.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:30 AM   #5

Ceiling Drywall question

Princelake,
Best we can tell since I haven't actually torn it down is that it is condensation (not sure from where yet but between the inspector when we bought the house and a contractor that looked through it thinks that) won't know for sure though naturally until it's torn down.

I doubt very highly they did it for anything other then looks though. There may be some things to move around but judgeing by the quality they did when it was put up and the fact that they had 12" (Yes you read that right) bolts going into the ceiling with 2x4's under it to anchor STYROFOAM (yes you read that right to!) that was made to "look" like it was wood beams going accross the ceiling I doubt very highly it was done for much else of a reason other then looks. Needless to say those styrofoam pieces came down the same day we closed on the house!

Far as the J Bead goes that's not a bad idea either will have to look into that! Thanks
Old 05-18-2012, 01:34 AM   #6

Ceiling Drywall question

Quick question in regards to the J Bead. Vinyl or Metal?
Old 05-18-2012, 09:25 AM   #7

Ceiling Drywall question

Faux wood beams made of styrofoam are pretty common.
mikegp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:18 AM   #8

Ceiling Drywall question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
Faux wood beams made of styrofoam are pretty common.
Really? Ugh there so ugly though. Why not just stain a 2x4 or whatever and put it up that way would look so much better in my opinion, or maybe it's just what they used in this house is just that ugly.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:36 PM   #9

Ceiling Drywall question

i like the vinyl J bead better but i find here not everywhere stocks it. either one works!
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #10

Ceiling Drywall question

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
i like the vinyl J bead better but i find here not everywhere stocks it. either one works!
Awesome that's what I went with since it won't be a major joint that risk's getting hit or anything of that sort since it's a ceiling. Never the less thanks for the ideas!