Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #1

Share |

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

Ok, garage has officially been closed in. Started on removing the popcorn ceiling tonight. This is messy, should have done this before having the floor in my garage raised and entry way closed in .

Well, it is coming along good. I just have a question about a spot in the finish that goes all the way along the width of the ceiling. What is the easiest way to fix? Looks thicker than a typical tape/compound

Thanks for the help
GoldenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
DIY staff

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

Could you post a picture of the general area? That's to close up to get an idea of the problem--Mike--
Old 10-01-2013, 07:57 PM   #3

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

Old 10-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
DIY staff

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

Are you going to overlay that with 1/2" drywall or attemt to remove the popcorn and skim coat the whole thing?

Sa to the two different surfaces? The smooth drywall was added after the popcorned area---see the plastic sheet hanging out between them? The two sections have not been taped yet---
Old 10-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #5

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

The other side used to be popcorned too, I just scraped that side tonight. Plan is to just scrape, smooth, and paint.

What is the stuff in between? Do I need to cut some thick tape the size of the gap and tape it in?
Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
DIY staff

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

Old eyes here----has the paper tape come loose? If that is the case---pull off the loose paper----make sure it is well screwed--then retape that joint.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #7

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

I'm with Mike, I can not tell what that is with those pictures.
Just looks like loose tape that needs to be replaced from what I can see.
Old 10-02-2013, 06:17 AM   #8

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

It does look like tape, just had me confused because the joint was so thick. Guess that has something to do with the popcorn layer. Ceiling is coming out pretty smooth. Would sanding the few high spots and painting with a semi textured roller work, or does this need to be skimmed? Will go pick up some tape and compound today. Thanks guys.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
DIY staff

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

Thank goodness that pop corn stuff is not popular in this area---so I have never dealt with it----You will have to experiment with some paint and see if the results are acceptable--

I am very experienced with drywall and almost always replace or overlay a bad ceiling----for me, it is faster and ends up cheaper than trying to save a bad area of drywall----
Old 10-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #10

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenX View Post
It does look like tape, just had me confused because the joint was so thick. Guess that has something to do with the popcorn layer. Ceiling is coming out pretty smooth. Would sanding the few high spots and painting with a semi textured roller work, or does this need to be skimmed? Will go pick up some tape and compound today. Thanks guys.
Really depends on the look your going for. If your going to retexture just hit the high spots as texture will hide a multitude of sins. In my opinion that is what it is for. If you want a more finished look, skim and sand. After all the trouble of removing the popcorn I don't think I would retexture but hey thats just me.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #11

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

Yes, I plan on doing this to the whole house eventually. Got to get this room finished first. Why they would even finish the garage ceiling with popcorn is beyond me. Plan not to do any texture. Current plan is to finish removing the rest of the popcorn, compound the "rough spots", sand, primer, then skim via paint roll if needed.

Does that process sound ok?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 10-02-2013, 01:05 PM   #12
gravity always wins

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

They mostly used it to avoid having to finish the drywall on the ceiling. Basic fire tape job and then spray on the popcorn to hide it all. No waves or bad joints to worry about. When you spray wet the popcorn, you'll soften up the mud and the tape will fall like you have seen. Pull the loose tape and redo. You'll probably have some butt joints to tape and feather out as well.
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:12 AM   #13
automated tool pro

Ceiling Drywall Joint?

I'm curious how you removed the popcorn? simply scraping it or did you dampen it first. I use a garden sprayer to mist over it, twice, then let it sit and soak for about 15min. Taking your drywall knife to it it should scrape off fairly easy to if you hold a under the knife, the popcorn should fall right into the pan. Keep a trash can near by and dump the pan when it fills up. It's a lot less messier that way.
The joint looks like whoever hung it, hung it wrong. Railroading the joints to where there is one long butt-joint that runs continously across the room. The reason the mud is so deep there. I dis-agree with the way the ceiling joint "are not finished correctly." This is a falsehood. especially sense the ceiling was rolled with mud to avoid color differential between the color of the mud on th the joints and the color of the dtywall itself.
I'm not at my computer or I would post a few example pictures of how to remove popcorn with very little mess.....sense you plan on doing the rest of the house slick. Getting the fix is typically a two man process. Rolling another layer of mud on then pulling it right back off...esentially skimming it, just at a pace that is simpler and efentient(sp). this process may have to be repeated twice.
Also your angles(where ceiling meets wall will most likely suffer. with some tape letting loose or being damaged when scraping.
I went disabled over the summer so I'm on the pc more often pm me and I can send you some really good example pics for the process.....one of my advertising lines...."I'm here to rid the world of Popcron ceilings".. picked up a lot of work through that advertisement..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

drywallfinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drywallfinisher For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (10-03-2013)