Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2009, 02:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Ceiling Drywall

Hello, just begining the drywall phase in my bathroom. Starting with the ceiling, I have 16" OC joists and was wondering if 5/8 Green Board was overkill, or can I get away with 1/2 knowing I have 16" OC and a less chance for sag? Also, what screw length should I be using?

Thanks for your Help!

moosejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:32 PM   #2
General Contractor

Ceiling Drywall

Where I live you have to use 5/8 for your ceiling. (fire code) Just use regular drywall with 1-5/8 coarse thread screws. I always use construction adhesive also on ceiling rock. Don't pop your paper with your screws. They make drywall bits for your drill that cost about $1.50 each.

HWConstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Ceiling Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejohnson View Post
Hello, just begining the drywall phase in my bathroom. Starting with the ceiling, I have 16" OC joists and was wondering if 5/8 Green Board was overkill, or can I get away with 1/2 knowing I have 16" OC and a less chance for sag? Also, what screw length should I be using?

Thanks for your Help!
Moisture Resistant Sheetrock (AKA - Green Board & MR Board -around since the 70's), is slowly being phased out. It is being replaced by sheetrock that is also Mold and Mildew resistant, not just moisture Resistant.
http://www.usg.com/navigate.do?resou...sum_Panels.htm

As far as what should be used on the ceiling; Manufactures of the older green board used to require 12" O.C. fastening for 1/2" GWB ceiling applications. However, with the new material, this is not required. 16" OC is fine.
Example - Gold Bond XP Board Installation Instruction with fastening table:
http://files.buildsite.com/dbderived...ived281511.pdf

1/2" GWB should suffice, dependant on your regional standards. 1/2" Will not sag with 16" OC framing.
Use 1 1/4" Course Thread (for wood) drywall screws. (Fine thread is for steel framing).

If you plan on using actual green board, the spacing should be 1/2" OC for ceilings applications.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:06 PM   #4

Ceiling Drywall

I thought 5/8" was only required for fire rating between a garage & living space?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:13 PM   #5

Ceiling Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba_Dave View Post
I thought 5/8" was only required for fire rating between a garage & living space?
It is required for fire rated walls & Ceilings in various structures...such as condomimiums, garage separation walls/ceilings, Hotels, apartments, certain business areas, etc, etc.

In the states we work in, it is not required for standard ceilings in residential applications. That includes MA (your state).
Old 01-19-2009, 04:25 PM   #6

Ceiling Drywall

Thanks, can the Gold Bond XP be purchased at a Big Box store, or is it a specialty item through construction resources, and roughly how much for a 4x8 sheet?
moosejohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:57 PM   #7

Ceiling Drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosejohnson View Post
Thanks, can the Gold Bond XP be purchased at a Big Box store, or is it a specialty item through construction resources, and roughly how much for a 4x8 sheet?
I knew that HD had started to carry it, but went back to the old green board.

Any drywall supply house should have it.