Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2012, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Ceiling

The previous owner of my house decided it was a good idea to put a floor on the ceiling. There are 3.5 inch floor boards nailed to the ceiling with framing nails...sandwiched between the floorboards and joists, there is drywall. The drywall is destroyed when the floorboards are removed. So, I stripped the ceiling to the joists. The drywaller I got a quote from said hanging a vaulted ceiling is harder than walls and that a pro should do it. I think I can do it but I have a couple of questions.

Normally the ceiling goes in first but my walls are already drywalled. Do I just push the new ceiling boards into the gaps? If the new boards are different thickness than the old sheets, is it alright to butt them up to the walls?

I read in a previous post about butt boards. I noticed that when using buttboards, which I don't plan on, the ceiling sheets don't end in the center of joists like on a wall. Is it standard procedure when hanging ceiling drywall sheets to end between joists-essentially the ends being free hanging?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by wwkayaker; 05-12-2012 at 11:00 PM.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #2
I make love to my walls

Ceiling

If your plan was to do it yourself, why did you waste a drywall contractors time by having him come give you a quote?
Just by your questions and concerns, I can tell you don't know what you're doing. Just hire a pro. I do walls first in a cathedral ceiling to give me a straight edge to rest the sheet on. It doesn't matter where the butt lands. In between, use a backer, on a rafter, screw it to the rafter. Common sense.

Arey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #3

Ceiling

Arey, nice response and are you familiar with the old saying about making assumptions?

You make it sound as though I am the first person to get a quote only to think it would be worth my time and money to do it myself. For starters, the contractor got the job and hung the ceiling in two rooms followed by doing the texture. So, not much time wasted since I paid him well. Unfortunately, not all contractors are great...the work was good but he wasted enough of my time by not coming back to complete the job as he promised. I finished the touch ups myself.

Finally, waste someone else's time with your condescending posts. Of course I don't know exactly what I am doing. Hence, I am asking for assistance on a DIY board.
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #4

Thumbs up

Ceiling

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Arey, nice response and are you familiar with the old saying about making assumptions?

You make it sound as though I am the first person to get a quote only to think it would be worth my time and money to do it myself. For starters, the contractor got the job and hung the ceiling in two rooms followed by doing the texture. So, not much time wasted since I paid him well. Unfortunately, not all contractors are great...the work was good but he wasted enough of my time by not coming back to complete the job as he promised. I finished the touch ups myself.

Finally, waste someone else's time with your condescending posts. Of course I don't know exactly what I am doing. Hence, I am asking for assistance on a DIY board.
JNAPS is offline   Reply With Quote