Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2013, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar T&G

I thought I would check to see if anybody had any advice or insight. My wife and I recently bought a house and we are currently in the process of updating all the rooms. In our living room, we have one entire wall that has angled cedar t&g on it. The wall is roughly 30' long and is two stories high for half of it. I originally wanted to keep it but my wife is insisting that we remove it. Now I would like to carefully remove it and possibly reuse it as wainscotting in my future basement rec room. Now, to shorten the project, I considered just putting 1/4" drywall over the top. It is an exterior wall with just one window and only a couple of outlets. The house was built in 1977 and I am guessing the cedar is original to the house. A few questions: has anybody run into this in the past and how easy would it be to remove the cedar without damaging it too bad? Can I expect to find drywall behind the cedar (I am guessing for fire code, the answer is yes)? How easy would it be to drywall over the top and have it blend in with the other walls that are painted and textured already? Any advice is appreciated.

harts7447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:18 PM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,256

Cedar T&G

Removing the cedar will be kinda touchy, more than likely you will mess a lot of the tongues and groves up because cedar is so soft and easy to mess up. It would still be well worth it to remove it, rip the edges down and run a new T&G on it, it may not be high out in CA but this end of the USA it is.

As for the drywall I will leave that to the pros here.

Stop by and vote for member of the month:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/vote-n...4/#post1414192

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,000

Cedar T&G

God only knows how they put it up.
I've some goofy stuff done to homes.
One that comes to mind was one that had pressure treated 5/4 decking boards on the wall with no sheetrock behind it in a 100 year old house.
You would have to remove some to find out how it was attached.
Remove an outlet cover to see if there any drywall behind the wood.

Post a picture of the room.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:32 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 518

Cedar T&G

Wives nag nag nag! The cedar T&G is probably old growth cedar never find the stuff in a million years. And a woman nags about it sheesh that is one honey do I would egnore.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 06:32 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,238

Cedar T&G

As far as putting drywall on top, how do you plan on finishing the top where it meets the ceiling. You say you have to match texture that can be a hard thing for even pros. And you will need to do it on 3 walls after you tape and mud and sand your corners. I guess you have no baseboard or trim on this wall. This will also have to be matched on the new wall. Since your assuming there is drywall behind the cedar why are you adding another layer.
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:21 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Cedar T&G

ToolSeeker, I assumed that even if there was drywall behind the cedar, I would have to go over the top of it anyways because there would be so many nail holes. I'm not sure how I would match up the texture. My thought was I would hang the 1/4" drywall myself and let a pro come in and finish so they could try to match the texture.

And yes, of all the projects we need to do in this house, my wife has chosen that removing or covering the cedar is priority. Nag nag nag.
harts7447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,256

Cedar T&G

Quote:
Originally Posted by harts7447 View Post
ToolSeeker, I assumed that even if there was drywall behind the cedar, I would have to go over the top of it anyways because there would be so many nail holes. I'm not sure how I would match up the texture. My thought was I would hang the 1/4" drywall myself and let a pro come in and finish so they could try to match the texture.

And yes, of all the projects we need to do in this house, my wife has chosen that removing or covering the cedar is priority. Nag nag nag.
You aren't going to save much by hanging the rock yourself, the finishing is the more costly part and some of the fellows in this area will charge you a little more if the rock is already hung.

Stop by and vote for member of the month:
http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/vote-n...4/#post1414192

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote