Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #1

Share |

Can you mud over wood?

We just moved into a former foreclosure which has become a moneypit and a headache. Neither my husband nor I are very handy, but we have been screwed out of so much money from contractors and carpenters, we have resorted to trying to do some things for ourselves.

My husband was trying to add some depth to a closet opening so we could put some bifold doors there. After several problems, he finally got it all framed, drywalled and beaded, then realized he was still short. Fed up and frustrated, he just removed the beading, framed two more pieces of wood on top of the already placed drywall and beaded the wood. It was my job to tape and mud, since I know how to do that.

I think he should have removed the drywall and placed the wood underneath, but he was so frustrated and spent so much time, i wasn't going to press the issue.

I am taping now, however, and am wondering if I'm going to have problems getting the mud to adhere properly to the wood frame. Also, there's a rather large gap on the inside of the closet between the beading and the wood. It won't be viewable, but it's a big gap - maybe a quarter inch.

Does anyone have any input on whether or not I can mud and texture that wood? Any other input would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
Caat

bigcaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #2

Can you mud over wood?

I've seen plywood/wallboard joints successfully taped and mudded. Regular lumber (2x or 1x) might still shrink a little and crack the mud after a while but who knows I've never tried it.

What is beading? I take it you aren't doing jambs and casing?

jogr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #3

Can you mud over wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jogr View Post
I've seen plywood/wallboard joints successfully taped and mudded. Regular lumber (2x or 1x) might still shrink a little and crack the mud after a while but who knows I've never tried it.

What is beading? I take it you aren't doing jambs and casing?
Thanks. We will give it a try. It can't be any worse than the pitiful job that most of the workers have done in this house. Not sure how we'll deal with the overlap, he may just have to cut that down.

Jambs and casing? I think so. It's the metal strip that goes along the corner to give it a sharp corner for the mud. Maybe I should have called it corner bead?

http://homerenovations.about.com/od/...rcornerbea.htm
Old 09-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #4

Can you mud over wood?

Your best bet is to not mud over wood. It will eventually crack. If you can't affix a piece of drywall, at least use mesh tape on top of the wood and then mud. With respect to the gap from your corner bead o your drywall, you should have 2 inch tape. Use it.
unlvrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to unlvrebel For This Useful Post:
bigcaat (10-04-2010)
Old 10-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #5

Can you mud over wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlvrebel View Post
Your best bet is to not mud over wood. It will eventually crack. If you can't affix a piece of drywall, at least use mesh tape on top of the wood and then mud. With respect to the gap from your corner bead o your drywall, you should have 2 inch tape. Use it.
Thank you, rebel. If I had the muscle to do it, I would just take off the end and switch the drywall and wood pieces. (Since he had it finished previously, but then realized it was still to wide.) I, however, have had several back injuries and don't have that kind of strength. When asked if I wanted to take over the project, my resounding answer was 'no.'

So, I have double taped all gaps and wood pieces - we will hope for the best.

Thanks for your input.

Caat
Old 10-04-2010, 10:05 PM   #6
jschaben

Can you mud over wood?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaat View Post
Thank you, rebel. If I had the muscle to do it, I would just take off the end and switch the drywall and wood pieces. (Since he had it finished previously, but then realized it was still to wide.) I, however, have had several back injuries and don't have that kind of strength. When asked if I wanted to take over the project, my resounding answer was 'no.'

So, I have double taped all gaps and wood pieces - we will hope for the best.

Thanks for your input.

Caat
Hi Caat - Good Luck. I was going to suggest a small bead of polyurethane foam in the crack. Cut off any foamout and mud over that.

"Where all think alike, no one is thinking very much"
jschaben is offline   Reply With Quote