Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-17-2008, 02:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can Wasps Burrow Through Drywall?

I'm posting on behalf of a friend who is in the process of selling her mother's home. After doing some cosmetic renovations, my friend arrived to the vacant house to find 30 dead wasps in the kitchen window sill and 30 in a living room window. To her horror she also found a wasp nest (brand spanking new, to the tune of two to three days) dangling below the ceiling...the nest wasn't adhered to the ceiling, it had started in the roof (or more precisely, the area between the ceiling and the roof).

Between my friend and I, we've identified where the wasps were entering (a hole in the exterior of the house from where they could fly into the roof area) and are now surmising that because she had sprayed the wasp entry on the exterior of the house they were now burrowing through the ceiling to find an exit. Is that possible?

All comments are appreciated,

Janet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #2
Bug Expert

Rewards Points: 25

Wasps of the family Vespidae use wood fibers to build their nests (aka cartons), but they usually strip the loose fibers from fences and tree bark. The queen feeds the larva protein-based food such as catepillars and other dead insects not wood particles. I'm thinking the wasps found their way to the attic or wall voids and then entered the interior around a light fixture or plumbing void. Inspect the attic and check out the wall voids in the affected rooms. If you find them in the walls, injecting Drione dust into the wall void with a bellows duster will eradicate them. If you find a nest in the attic, EcoSMART has a very effective "eco-friendly" product called EcoEXEMPT JET. Hope this helps.

Bugzilla out --

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 08-19-2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Site Rules Violation: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
Bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:54 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Yep that would be my first guess
They came in through the soffit and into the house through a light fixture
Old 09-12-2008, 06:07 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

True. They are now on the lookout for new home in your friendís house. Have you known which type of wasp that surrounds the house? Learning which type of wasp can gain you knowledge on what pest control method you should employ.
andrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 02:10 PM   #5
Bug Expert

Rewards Points: 25

Yup. Identification is key to eliminating the problem.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 09-13-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Advertising Link Removed From Signature
Bugzilla is offline   Reply With Quote