Can Spraying Orange Peel Cover Up A Knock Down Textured Wall? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can spraying orange peel cover up a knock down textured wall?

We have a 1 1/2 story Victorian that has knockdown textured walls throughout. I would like smooth walls more in keeping with the home's style, but it would be very expensive to have that done and my husband and I are not talented in that department. Can orange peel be sprayed on to cover and smooth the appearance of the stucco-like wall?

Advertisement

Last edited by Hosanna; 08-10-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Hosanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Orange peel is a much "lighter" texture than knock down. No it won't cover unfortunately.

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

I assure you, you can do it yourself, it just takes time (lots of it). My boyfriend and I have a rougher more rigid type of texture than knock down and we are skim coating over it. Neither one of us has done it before either. We are on coat #4 of drywall compound and we are seeing nice smooth surfaces. It has taken us about 2-3 weeks doing it between 2-6 hours a day ( although we did miss a day here or there) The final result is worth it though.
Valerie1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

Interestingly enough, knockdown over orange peel is a finish I use quite a bit (discovered it by accident when I did some orange peel that was really supposed to be knockdown), and it is sharp, filling in a lot of the "dead", flat spaces. I've never tried it the other way around.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote