Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-28-2013, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Can I Cover a Hole Successfully?

My wife & I are redocorating our main bathroom and she wants to change out the recessed toilet paper holder to the holder that's just mounted on the surface. This means I have to cover a 5"x5" hole in the drywall and somehow put the orange peel texture to it. Is there any advice anyone can give me to get this done right or should I call a professional to handle this small task?

rrzrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

The patch should be simple enough--you will be feathering that out about 20" wide to hide the patch----to add the orange peal to that repair--use a long nap roller.1/2" should do--and a thick paint--two coats is usually needed to get enough build to blend the texture into the old paint.

rrzrr (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 04:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,150

Since you have to patch the hole anyway I'd cut it out bigger and add a 2 X 6 between the two studs to have something to attach the new holder to.
It's just as easy to patch a big hole as a small one and it's all the same materials and steps involved.
Gymschu (08-28-2013), oh'mike (08-28-2013), rrzrr (08-28-2013)
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,284

Is the TP holder going in the same area if so I would go with Joe for adding support, I have never used Mike's method for orange peel I usually just use the rattle cans for a patch that small. Get the can that is adjustable there are 3 sizes of orange peel. Also sand the texture back from the hole if you put more texture on what is already there it will look bad.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
rrzrr (08-28-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrzrr View Post
My wife & I are redocorating our main bathroom and she wants to change out the recessed toilet paper holder to the holder that's just mounted on the surface. This means I have to cover a 5"x5" hole in the drywall and somehow put the orange peel texture to it. Is there any advice anyone can give me to get this done right or should I call a professional to handle this small task?
It might help if you posted a picture of this 'orange peel' look. And I'm assuming you mean the new holder is going to be put somewhere other than where the current one is located?

What's the reason for getting rid of the existing one? Because larger rolls don't fit? They do make extenions for such rolls:
http://www.amazon.com/Charmin-Extend.../dp/B0045JAA7U

I used to see them included free with the rolls when the size first came out.

We used them for a couple of the built-in kind you mention. Worked great. Just know they usually work better if you put the rolls on so the paper pulls up. Some folks are picky about this, but roll-down won't work as well with the extensions.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote