A Can Of Homax - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2013, 02:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

A can of Homax

When I remodeled my bathroom, I removed about an inch wide by 5 feet long piece of texture and paint from the drywall. I now want to paint it, but need to first texture to make it blend in with the rest of the walls. Since the drywall paper is exposed, must I use drywall compound to cover the drywall paper, and then apply the Homax texture from the can? Or can I just spray that area with a can of Homax and hope it creates a thick enough layer to blend in with the rest of the already textured and painted walls??

Advertisement

Jay2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,686

A can of Homax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2013 View Post
When I remodeled my bathroom, I removed about an inch wide by 5 feet long piece of texture and paint from the drywall. I now want to paint it, but need to first texture to make it blend in with the rest of the walls. Since the drywall paper is exposed, must I use drywall compound to cover the drywall paper, and then apply the Homax texture from the can? Or can I just spray that area with a can of Homax and hope it creates a thick enough layer to blend in with the rest of the already textured and painted walls??
First what kind of texture is it orange peel or knockdown? Either way you need to make it wider 4 or 5 " the reason is being 1" wide the build up along the edge will really make the repair stand out. By making it wider you have room to feather it in with the existing. Get the can with the adjustable nozzle then practice on a piece of cardboard. I know it's overkill but I prime the wall then texture then prime over the texture then paint. You don't need compound.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #3

A can of Homax

Thanks. The texture on the wall now is from when the house was built and am not sure if it is Knockdown or orange peel. If orange peel is truly orange, then I know for a fact that it isn't orange peel. Which can of texture do you recommend??
Old 08-30-2013, 02:56 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,294

A can of Homax

One thing you must be very careful of.......if you apply compound or the Homax to the damaged drywall, you will get a bubble. That brown paper needs sealed up with Guardz primer or an oil-based primer before you apply any mud or Homax. Trust me on this.
Gymschu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:08 PM   #5

A can of Homax

Here is a pic of my current wall.
Attached Thumbnails
A can of Homax-img_0353.jpg  
Old 08-30-2013, 06:29 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,686

A can of Homax

That is definitely knockdown texture, but the first thing you need to do is take that roll of mesh tape and go out on your front porch and throw it as far as you can. Then after sanding the texture back, with paper tape and all purpose joint compound fill and smooth the joint. texture, prime and paint. That looks like a medium knockdown so with a little practice you can match it pretty easy.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote