Butt Joints - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Butt joints

I'm hanging a wall in my house right with 5/8" (well, actually, the 3rd layer). I've hung the sheets horizontally for the top part of the wall and am about to hang the bottom.

The best apparent placement of the lower sheets leaves the two butt joints about 6" apart. Is this enough separation for floating or is more distance between the two required for optimal floating? These would be the only butt joints on the wall and are vertical.

Also, this 'optimal' placement means that the upper and lower 12' sheets will start from the same point. Does this present any issues? The two lower layers are staggered (12' and 8' upper, 8' and 12' lower).

Thanks!

Advertisement

rightit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:28 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 672

Butt joints

Why 3 layers?

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Butt joints

You can float joint compound pretty much anywhere. But obviously your rocking a wall that has a pretty hefty fire rating. Townhouse? Apartment? 3 layers is hefty for any standard residential construction. I haven't done much in fire rating but as long as the joints are staggered you should meet code. But with that being said how are you staggering 6'' anyway? wall framed on 6'' on center? Think code might be staggered 1 foot. Don't quote me on that.
CopperClad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 626

Butt joints

Three layers of 5/8 Drywall? Why? Is my question? Code for fire rating in a home for garage to living space is just 5/8. this is way over kill! But its your money.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #5

Butt joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why 3 layers?
Soundproofing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperClad View Post
You can float joint compound pretty much anywhere. But obviously your rocking a wall that has a pretty hefty fire rating. Townhouse? Apartment? 3 layers is hefty for any standard residential construction. I haven't done much in fire rating but as long as the joints are staggered you should meet code.
Sound is the main event. Fire rating is a bonus. It's an office that will be used for various purposes, some of which will require that no noise escape or enter.

Quote:
But with that being said how are you staggering 6'' anyway? wall framed on 6'' on center? Think code might be staggered 1 foot. Don't quote me on that.
The wall is 16" OC (staggered 2x4 wood stud wall, 16" OC each side). The 6" is backer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Three layers of 5/8 Drywall? Why? Is my question? Code for fire rating in a home for garage to living space is just 5/8. this is way over kill! But its your money.
See above.

Thanks to all for your comments. I've found that I have an extra 12x8 sheet, so I may just resolve the issue by placing two 10' (give or take) sheets.

Last edited by rightit; 06-23-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:59 PM   #6

Butt joints

If you wanted Sound Proofing I would have used rockwool batts and just one sheet of 5/8's would have saved you a ton of money!
Old 06-24-2012, 12:03 AM   #7

Butt joints

Seriously.. Soundproofing never even entered my mind.. Tons of better ways of doing it. Even the green fiber cellulose insulation offers tremendous soundproofing..
The Following User Says Thank You to CopperClad For This Useful Post:
Nailbags (06-24-2012)
Old 06-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #8

Butt joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by CopperClad View Post
Seriously.. Soundproofing never even entered my mind.. Tons of better ways of doing it. Even the green fiber cellulose insulation offers tremendous soundproofing..
Yeah Copper,
My son is a drummer and I put rock wool batts in the stud cavities and then 1/2 inch dry wall almost zero sound.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #9

Butt joints

Thanks for the comments, guys. If you research soundproofing, you'll find it's a bit more complex than insulating wall cavities (which only stops certain frequencies of sound, and not very well in most cases).

Sound is like water. It will find any "leaks" and get through. For instance, if you've built a wall to a 60 STC rating according to the accepted soundproofing strategies, but leave out putty pads at the outlets, your sound rating just dropped significantly. In fact, you may not have improved sound dampening at all, just by forgetting one item.

Insulation is just one ingredient in the mix. Mass is your best friend when "soundproofing". My wall is as described below:

Existing wall, gutted on one side, mechanically decoupled staggered wall, mineral wool insulation (touching only one set of studs), 3 layers of 5/8 fire rock (on each side of wall), seams staggered, green glue in between each layer, acoustic sound sealant at every sheetrock seam on the lower layers, around outlets (outlets also employ putty pads), in corners, at and on bottom plate from floor to bottom edge of sheetrock. There will also be a solid core door with a door sweep. Adjacent intersecting walls are also double rocked with GG.

There are many factors when soundproofing, and it can be quite a difficult (& expensive) process, as sound can find ways to flank all of your hard work. Sometimes it's structural flanking paths that can be difficult or impossible to correct.

I only wish that all it took was Rockwool in the cavities. But soundproofing is a science that incorporates lots of factors. If you're really interested in finding out more, here are some links:

Google search - soundproofing & walls

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1...w=1579&bih=953

Soundproofing company: Some great articles and principals of soundproofing:

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...fing-articles/

And one more...AVS forum, a neutral community into soundproofing for the purposes of home theaters:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/19/dedicat...n-construction
Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Butt joints

Lol ! Sounds you most definitely are more knowledgeable in the area of soundproofing then I. Sounds like you didn't need any help at all ! Very curious though, what is being done in this office?? Is it top secret
Old 06-24-2012, 07:13 PM   #11

Butt joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightit View Post
Thanks for the comments, guys. If you research soundproofing, you'll find it's a bit more complex than insulating wall cavities (which only stops certain frequencies of sound, and not very well in most cases).

Sound is like water. It will find any "leaks" and get through. For instance, if you've built a wall to a 60 STC rating according to the accepted soundproofing strategies, but leave out putty pads at the outlets, your sound rating just dropped significantly. In fact, you may not have improved sound dampening at all, just by forgetting one item.

Insulation is just one ingredient in the mix. Mass is your best friend when "soundproofing". My wall is as described below:

Existing wall, gutted on one side, mechanically decoupled staggered wall, mineral wool insulation (touching only one set of studs), 3 layers of 5/8 fire rock (on each side of wall), seams staggered, green glue in between each layer, acoustic sound sealant at every sheetrock seam on the lower layers, around outlets (outlets also employ putty pads), in corners, at and on bottom plate from floor to bottom edge of sheetrock. There will also be a solid core door with a door sweep. Adjacent intersecting walls are also double rocked with GG.

There are many factors when soundproofing, and it can be quite a difficult (& expensive) process, as sound can find ways to flank all of your hard work. Sometimes it's structural flanking paths that can be difficult or impossible to correct.

I only wish that all it took was Rockwool in the cavities. But soundproofing is a science that incorporates lots of factors. If you're really interested in finding out more, here are some links:

Google search - soundproofing & walls

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1...w=1579&bih=953

Soundproofing company: Some great articles and principals of soundproofing:

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/

http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/...fing-articles/

And one more...AVS forum, a neutral community into soundproofing for the purposes of home theaters:

http://www.avsforum.com/f/19/dedicat...n-construction
Hey Thanks for the information.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:15 PM   #12

Butt joints

Hey I just found some real cool sound proofing drywall. and I bet it is better then three layers of 5/8.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlAZs...feature=g-vrec
Old 06-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #13

Butt joints

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailbags View Post
Hey I just found some real cool sound proofing drywall.

Thanks for the heads up. I saw that in the course of researching the issue. I researched both methods thoroughly. Each camp swears by their 'method'.

I suppose QR could be as good or better, certainly easier than hanging 6 layers. But the net is filled with conflicting opinions. My logic was that, QR, being manufactured with a special layer in between, was subject to human error, while it's hard to screw up mass. As you can surmise from this thread, I invested myself in mass. I doubt there will be enough difference to make me regret it. The price worked out to about the same, counting GG and sound sealant.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to my attention.

Advertisement

Last edited by rightit; 06-25-2012 at 11:19 PM.