Butt End To Tapered End? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Butt end to tapered end?

Finishing basement walls and trying to have as few butt joints as possible....looks like I'll have one. Question is which is a better choice for finishing....butt against tapered or butt to butt?

Advertisement

Oxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 AM   #2

Butt end to tapered end?

No, rolled edge(tapered) against rolled edge and butt to butt but never butt to tapered. Maybe a little more rock to use but filling is very difficult.

Advertisement

diykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:11 AM   #3

Butt end to tapered end?

No, rolled edge(tapered) against rolled edge and butt to butt but never butt to tapered. Maybe a little more rock to use but filling is very difficult.
diykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,038

Butt end to tapered end?

is it really not possible to seam a butt edge to a tapered edge? why not just fill the hole in the butt side with more mud?

thanks
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:14 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 664

Butt end to tapered end?

Unless you remove the paper to make room for the thickness of the tape on the untapered edge your going to end up with a hump and a really wide joint to blend it in.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
amakarevic (05-18-2012)
Old 05-18-2012, 10:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,038

Butt end to tapered end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Unless you remove the paper to make room for the thickness of the tape on the untapered edge your going to end up with a hump and a really wide joint to blend it in.
how come you don't get a tape hump when you join two butt ends?
amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 11:01 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 664

Butt end to tapered end?

Because the tapes sitting in the low area so there only enough mud used to fill in the low area where the taper is, not all over the wall board.

If the taps sitting on the wall board there has to be a tapered out area to cover the tape.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:51 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 10

Butt end to tapered end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption
Because the tapes sitting in the low area so there only enough mud used to fill in the low area where the taper is, not all over the wall board.

If the taps sitting on the wall board there has to be a tapered out area to cover the tape.
I believe his question was taping joints butt end to butt end vs. tapered to tapered.
RayGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 508

Butt end to tapered end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxymoron View Post
Finishing basement walls and trying to have as few butt joints as possible....looks like I'll have one. Question is which is a better choice for finishing....butt against tapered or butt to butt?

You can certainly make a butt-to-taper work. First, fill the tapered side with joint compound, using an 8 or 10-inch knife. Once this is dried, you'll essentially be left with a butt-to-butt joint. Then, lay mud, to bed your tape and finish as usual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amakarevic View Post
is it really not possible to seam a butt edge to a tapered edge? why not just fill the hole in the butt side with more mud?

thanks

You have the right idea. For whatever reason, I ended up with a joint like this recently and I was able to hide it without much trouble.

Last edited by Seattle2k; 05-22-2012 at 04:21 PM.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 150

Butt end to tapered end?

[quote=Seattle2k;926558]You can certainly make a butt-to-taper work. First, fill the tapered side with joint compound, using an 8 or 10-inch knife. Once this is dried, you'll essentially be left with a butt-to-butt joint. Then, lay mud, to bed your tape and finish as usual.

Bingo, I have 2 butt-taper joints in my basement and I think they might be two of the best seams in the whole basement.
stradt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #11
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Butt end to tapered end?

There are many situations in hanging drywall where there is NO option but to put a tapered edge to a non-tapered edge. I've hung many houses with rooms where the ceiling joists change direction and there's no choice. A professional finisher has no issues with these joints. A DIY'er can finish them too. Just take a little more time and effort. And removing the paper from the drywall will compromise the integrity of the board. You DON'T want to do that.....
amakarevic (06-01-2012)
Old 06-02-2012, 10:12 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 512

Butt end to tapered end?

i do tapered to butts all the time. basements floods where the bottom 2' of drywall is cut out in the entire basements. i can fiber tape or paper tape it. its fairly simple and you cant even tell there was a joint even there.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 11:53 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 10

Butt end to tapered end?

Thanks Seattle2k. Great tip on joining butt and tapered ends!
revchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 250

Butt end to tapered end?

I think pre-filling is good practice for all joints. If pre-filled, butt to taper would be stronger than butt to butt.
Dorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,684

Butt end to tapered end?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorado View Post
I think pre-filling is good practice for all joints. If pre-filled, butt to taper would be stronger than butt to butt.
Butt to taper would not be stronger unless the pre-fill was dura bond. The taper would be too wide to cover with tape and just joint compound does't have that much strength.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote