Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-20-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bullnose corner Fail!

Howdy,

I'm going to be doing some repairs on a house where the previous owner did some DIY "upgrades" Including Bullnose corners on a few corners in the house,... not all just a few. I don't know how or what he did but they all look like bulbous ski jumps. The transition from rounded corner to flat wall is so dramatic that I don't know how to repair it. To make a smooth seamless wall I will need to add almost an inch thick of compound. Has anyone seen this before?

Should I start filling or should I remove the bullnose and try to repair the 90 degree corner that is under it.

I have never installed bullnose so I could really use some advice. Thanks!

Strife_Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Bullnose corner Fail!

No one's going to be able to see what your seeing without a picture.
Is this drywall, tile, wood bull nose?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (06-21-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
automated tool pro

Rewards Points: 150

Bullnose corner Fail!

from the way you put it you have a lot of mud yet to be put on. A fix before you really gob it up is the best bet.
I can see in my head what you're talking about. The bullnose isnt sitting right because the drywall wasnt cut back.
Fix...start at the very bottom of the bead and try and grab onto it with a pair on nice dykes. yank the piss out of it and eventually it will pop off.
Sand as far to flat as possible and cut the drywall back....I need to find a pic....
Old 06-20-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
automated tool pro

Bullnose corner Fail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallfinisher View Post
from the way you put it you have a lot of mud yet to be put on. A fix before you really gob it up is the best bet.
I can see in my head what you're talking about. The bullnose isnt sitting right because the drywall wasnt cut back.
Fix...start at the very bottom of the bead and try and grab onto it with a pair on nice dykes. yank the piss out of it and eventually it will pop off.
Sand as far to flat as possible and cut the drywall back....I need to find a pic....
sorry couldnt find the pic, the thread was pretty hot and got removed....cutting the corners back is more or less saying the outside corner should not be square but cut back rounding them out....this is how bullnose is applied step#1. the hangers start the process
ant how once you're back to new just replace the bead properly, lay it firm but dont push it to hard when sticking it on. This is what creates a flaring of one side or even both. Use vinyl bead attached w/ 3/8" staples and first coated with a setting type compound for strength...

Hope this helps and that you can interpret my garble
Old 06-20-2013, 10:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Bullnose corner Fail!

Thanks for your help, that sounds exactly like what has happened here. It is a plastic 1/4 round bullnose over a 90 degree drywall corner. It is an older house and has only been applied to a few walls it looks horrible I'm thinking I may just remove it. I've attached a pic it's much worse than it looks in the photos though.

I appreciate any advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Bullnose corner Fail!-bullnose.jpg  
Strife_Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,124

Bullnose corner Fail!

There's really something to be said for paying a drywall contractor for crap like that. Get one to quote you on what it would take to solve that problem. Do the kind of demo they'd need and let them sweat the adventure of applying the corner bead and feathering it out properly. It might be a lot less expensive than you think.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,336

Bullnose corner Fail!

Just remove it, repair any damage with hot mud. They were probably applied, due to a small kid in the home sometime in the past.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:17 PM   #8

Bullnose corner Fail!

Oh my that's awful!

You'll have to rip it out. No way would I build up that thick of a fill - you'll end up w an obviously concave wall. Just dig into it w a pliers, grab an edge, and yank. It'll come off. Chisel off all the bulid-up you can, and then redo the corner from scratch.

I would redo it with a new bullnose. I'm a fan of them when done right - really softens those outside corners.
SquishyBall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SquishyBall For This Useful Post:
drywallfinisher (06-21-2013)
Old 06-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #9
automated tool pro

Bullnose corner Fail!

from the pic it almost looks lie it would fall off anyway...have courage, pull it off and replace it....this is a DIY forum.
all you need to remember is not to press the bead to firmly when putting another one on. Keep it from flaring out. also use longer staples if you feel it will help. staples are your friend. staple it in the middle first adjusting if needed then staple the bottom, adjust if needed on top then staple it. once you have it tacked up like this, you can staple the piss out of it every 8"'s or wherever you might see those notorious flares. use an 8" knife and mud it on with quickset.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:37 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 274

Bullnose corner Fail!

It is an earlier abode and has alone been activated to a few walls it looks abhorrent I'm cerebration I may just abolish it. I've absorbed a pic it's abundant worse than it looks in the photos though.

alexjoe is offline   Reply With Quote